pengh

Laid down Sod - Question about how I laid them.

St Augustine grass - South Florida

It was hard to find in the area. The store only had about 70 - I needed about 90. I laid them with a bit of a gap between each piece (8-10 inches) so they are spaced out a bit. I don't know if this was stupid or not. I filled up the gaps with dirt. I figured it was like putting in plugs lol. I'm not in a rush to have it fill in. Was this a bad idea? How long before it starts to grow?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

pengh wrote:St Augustine grass - South Florida

It was hard to find in the area. The store only had about 70 - I needed about 90. I laid them with a bit of a gap between each piece (8-10 inches) so they are spaced out a bit. I don't know if this was stupid or not. I filled up the gaps with dirt. I figured it was like putting in plugs lol. I'm not in a rush to have it fill in. Was this a bad idea? How long before it starts to grow?
You'll be fine. That grass will start filling in once the roots are established in the ground it was laid and by putting soil between the pieces of sod, that helps even out the area. Just keep it watered to help roots develop. You should be getting some pretty warm temperatures in S. Fla. this time of year. I live in N.O. and our days are very mild with an occasional 1-3 day cool snap bringing the temperatures down into the low 40's.

I wouldn't even attempt to mow it for a few more months and when you do, raise your mower so you just even out the top of the grass. My neighbor across the street had a new lawn pf St. Aug laid about 4 months ago and it's only been cut twice since then. He had a stroke a couple years ago and has never fully recovered. I cut his grass for him, that's how I know how often it's been cut.

pengh

thanks

Return to “Lawn Care”