pengh

Laying SOD question

2 summers ago, I laid about 60/70 square feet of SOD in an area of my back yard. I had no idea what I was doing. The weeds that were there I raked out to mostly all dirt (it was a good workout). I watered the SOD pretty well for 2 weeks (soaked it morning and evening) and then went on a trip for 2 more weeks (poorly planed). When I came back it was 90% all dead and never came back - I guess it never rained while I was gone. Now it's all weeds again.

A couple days ago,I sprayed round-up all over in hopes to kill everything. Not sure if this was a bad idea - I'm hoping it will be easier to rake up onces it's dead. When it all dies I want to prep the dirt before applying more sod. Is there something I should be applying to the dirt before laying the sod?

Thanks

Hortman

Hello pengh. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the Forum.
You must live in a warm winter area since you just sprayed Roundup.
I would wait until spring to lay my sod. Just before you are ready to lay
the sod, rake the soil and get out all the clods and debris. Then smooth it
out and ideally, roll the soil to firm it up. You can rent a lawn roller at a
tool rental facility. Apply starter fertilizer to the soil. Then lay your sod
making sure to alternate laying the rolls like you would lay brick to prevent erosion.
Now roll the sod to make good sod to soil contact.
Once the sod is layed, keep it evenly moist for the first 2 weeks. After that start
watering less often and for longer periods of time. By the end of the first month
you should be watering twice a week for about a half hour to 45 minutes. Watering
infrequently and deep helps the grass grow deep roots. Let us know how things progress.

Gkwilsongardens

I would now scarify the lawn quite deeply then rake up the spoil, sow with a good quality multi purpose grass seed at around 45g per square metre and water without fail for he next 6-8 weeks. Reseed any bald or thin patches, when it comes to cutting the lawn never take more than 25% off with any one cut and always make sure your blades are sharp on your mower and always try and collect the grass.

Return to “Lawn Care”