gil_happy
Newly Registered

Question about installing new sod over old grass in Georgia

Hello,

I have a question about installing new sod over old grass during the winter season and the best way to go about this. Here are some of my details of my project:

- I live in Cumming (Atlanta), GA
- My property sits on about 1/2 acre
- Currently my lawn is "hodge-podge" of grasses and I plan to install Centipede grass (no sprinkler system in my yard)
- I need plan to add some 'dirt' over the current grass to fill in the various dips and grooves in my yard - this could be anywhere from 3" to 8" in new dirt (but how much I add may depend on cost of the dirt)

Do I need to spray my current lawn with chemicals, etc before bringing in dirt?
Should I remove the old grass with a Bobcat before bringing in the dirt?
Can the Centipede grass be installed on the new 'dirt' without spraying or removing the old grass?

Thanks in advance!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Depends on what your old grass is. St. Augustine is difficult to get rid of and will take over your centepede lawn in a few years. Also look at what your neighbors have. If they have St. Augustiine you will lose your centipede lawn to encroachment of their St. Augustine. When I had my landscaping business I always looked at the neighbors lawns before making grass recomendations. If there is St. Augustine any where around you it will take over.

Best of luck

gil_happy
Newly Registered

I only have one neighbor and I believe they either have Bermuda or Fescue (I need to look it up online).

I think there might be some St. Augustine in my yard for looking at pictures, but it is definitely a mix of grasses on my property.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Unless you completely destroy the St. Augustine it will come back and take over your yard. Even in south Louisiana this is not the time to seed or sod. Wait until spring - March for you.

gil_happy
Newly Registered

Thanks for the info.... I looks like I might have to wait until the growing season starts back up, and then spray my entire yard to kill everything.

Then a couple of weeks later, I can have my entire yard tilled up and prepared for sod.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Once you till it up you may want to rent a small tractor with a box scraper to level out the yard. That will help get rid of the low spots without having to bring in additional soil. Do shop around before renting. Lots of difference in rates. It has been many years since I had to rent equipment. 8 -10 years ago I was able to rent a small Kabota tractor with a 1/2 yard front loader and a box scraper deliver and picked up fuel use included for $500 3 - 7 days. Centepede sod is expensive if you can get it. Centepede is easily started from seed IF you can water daily for the first 30 days. Not sure about planting dates for your area. I will do a couple of queries and get back to you.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Found this - seems like a comprehensive link that answers most of your questions with region specific information.

https://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/c ... nting-sod/

Hope this helps.

gil_happy
Newly Registered

Thanks so much... I found someone that I can hire locally (for a decent rate, I might add) that has a box scraper.

I might just decide to put down centipede sod since the article indicates May or June to plant seed :-( I certainly don't want a dirt back yard waiting for the temperatures to warm back up.

Return to “Lawn Care”