JohnnyB60

New lawn after new sprinklers & possible sunken trench

I removed a large swimming pool about 5 years ago and I'm just now getting around to putting the lawn back in. The area was overrun by what I believe is Purslane or at least it looks like it, but I think I have it all removed now. The stuff is persistent and I'm sure it will be back. It is fast growing and I just hope it doesn't come back before the new grass grows.

Anyway I had to redo all the sprinklers because over half of it was removed to make room for the pool and I may end up with a problem because I didn't fill it in properly. I noticed that I sink in along parts of the trench as I walk around and I was wondering if I rented a rototiller and redid the whole yard if the problem would correct itself. I'm just afraid that I'll have sunken areas were the sprinkler lines are.

I'm avoiding seeding and have been watering it in hopes that any sinking will occur now before I seed so I can correct it, but I'm also worried that those weeds will be back from the watering.

Anybody experienced this problem and have any suggestions?

Sprinkler trench
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/SleeperN06/Gardening/IMG_0033.jpg[/img]

JohnnyB60

Well I've been thinking about it over breakfast and I've decided to just dig it all up again and pack it down as I back fill. it's a lot of work but it will probably take as long as going out to rent a rototiller and having to return it. I should have done it a few days ago when I 1st noticed it. Oh well! :(

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

one risk in "packing it down" - if the plastic pipe is not well supported underneath, you run the risk of breaking the pipe, especially at a T-off section.

what I have done is: at about half full, soak the soil with water until it is mud. use a stick/whatever to mush around the mud and get all the gaps filled.

even if you wind up with a sunken area after seeding / grass grown in, you can fill up the dent with dirt - either in one go, then reseed - or about an inch at a time - the grass will grow up through the fill.

JohnnyB60

Dillbert wrote:one risk in "packing it down" - if the plastic pipe is not well supported underneath, you run the risk of breaking the pipe, especially at a T-off section.

what I have done is: at about half full, soak the soil with water until it is mud. use a stick/whatever to mush around the mud and get all the gaps filled.

even if you wind up with a sunken area after seeding / grass grown in, you can fill up the dent with dirt - either in one go, then reseed - or about an inch at a time - the grass will grow up through the fill.
Thanks, I wasn't thinking about the pipe. I had originally made the bottom completely flat so the pipe would be supported, but then at the last minute I decided to run a water line for a Self standing Water Hose Bib Stand. I wanted it under the sprinkler pipe which caused it to not sit on the bottom.
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/SleeperN06/Gardening/HoseBibStand_1.jpg[/img] [img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/SleeperN06/Gardening/IMG_0030.jpg[/img]

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

not clear from he pix, but hopefully the sprinkler heads are set with a swivel joint so you can dig them up and "re-level" them as the ground settles....

JohnnyB60

Dillbert wrote:not clear from he pix, but hopefully the sprinkler heads are set with a swivel joint so you can dig them up and "re-level" them as the ground settles....
Yes they are, actually I had to replace the riser on this one after I took the photo because it was too low.

Anyway I just got done re-digging the whole yard and seeded it. I dug down deep throughout the yard so that if it does sink, the surrounding soil will sink with it

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/SleeperN06/Gardening/IMG_0042.jpg[/img]

Not the best job I've ever done, but it's in the back yard and the dogs will probably destroy it before it's done. LOL Just kidding, I'm going to put up a temporary fence around it to keep the dogs out, but it's the birds that I'm really worried about.

Return to “Lawn Care”