emjackson22
Newly Registered

Lawn is dead. Need help!

So my lawn is completely dead from the Indiana drought we have had recently. For some reason all my neighbors lawns have grown back since then but mine. And although my yard has no trees to shade it, I have noticed other tree-less yards are nice a green.

My yard has patches of crab grass which is the only green part of it aside from some weeds. I had a lawn care service come out to do a free estimate. They said the types of grass I have are: Bluegrass, Ryegrass,Tall Fescue, and Fine fescue and crab grass.

Their suggestion was for my lawn to be seeded w/ R.T.F (whatever that means) type of seed. My estimate letter also says "Do not use blue grass or Rye. Only a turf type fescue".

Funny thing is, I called them to get a price on all that and they wont get back with me. Anyone have a suggestion of a way for me to do this myself?? Where could I purchase the supplies to seed my lawn?

I realize my lawn may not grow back this year but I at least want to take the right steps to ensure that it comes back in the spring.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, I think it may depend some on the type of grass in your lawn. I have seen Kentucky Bluegass go dead like that because of lack of water, however it seems to have the ability to remain alive and will green up when It gets some water. Hang in there, we should get some rain someday. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say how much lawn you have. If it's an acre, DIY might be kind of daunting. But if it is a city type lawn, sure you could do it yourself.

RTF grass seed is rhizomatous tall fescue. Supposed to be very drought tolerant. It's available lots of places:
https://www.naturehills.com/rhizomatous-tall-fescue-rtf-seed

So give your lawn a good hard raking with a metal rake (not leaf rake) to dethatch some and make furrows. Water well and then put down your seed. Hopefully you want to do that when it isn't too hot and when there are some rains coming in the next few days. Cover the seed lightly and walk on it to be sure it is in contact with the ground. Keep it moist. Water gently almost every day that it doesn't rain.

But agree with jal-ut, you might want to give it a little more time after weather cools off and rains come back, to see how much of your previous lawn comes back. Grass typically goes dormant in heat and drought.

Smallgardener

DIY if it is not too big of a job. There are usually places to rent all the equipment you need. A Dethatcher or power rake, Seed ( have to buy not rent), Spreader, and a knife aerator for getting the seed in the ground. Once the seed is in the ground run the aerator over the yard twice in a criss cross pattern to get the seed about 1/2 inch down and then WATER! alot.
I read somewhere that cool season grasses need moisture to the keep the crowns viable every 5 weeks.

Return to “Lawn Care”