Anonymous

How to rid a full lawn of Bermuda grass

Hello everyone! I have just bought my first house and am learning how to garden.

My front lawn is covered in gravel, but there is bermuda grass poking through absolutely everywhere. Would covering everything in a layer of plastic under the rock kill the grass? Is that bad for the planet? Please give me all the information that you may have, considering that I am a complete newbie to this. I am looking for a long term solution.

Thanks!

dcpinner
Newly Registered

What's your goal? is the gravel part of your driveway? Are you wanting to get rid of your gravel, or just have gravel there with no grass at all? If you don't want any grass on your gravel, I would just recommend the every day RoundUp....but do NOT spray it where you want grass because RoundUp kills most anything your spray on it.

If you have a different type of grass that you want to keep and it is infested with Bermuda which you would like to get rid of, I can recommend something, but it may be hard to find because it is so selective in what it kills. I use it on my Zoysia lawn when I had some bermuda growing in it.

Dcpinner

Toms92gp

deschamps1000 wrote:Hello everyone! I have just bought my first house and am learning how to garden.

My front lawn is covered in gravel, but there is bermuda grass poking through absolutely everywhere. Would covering everything in a layer of plastic under the rock kill the grass? Is that bad for the planet? Please give me all the information that you may have, considering that I am a complete newbie to this. I am looking for a long term solution.

Thanks!
Roudnup a few times a couple weeks apart should take care of it. You can cover it with plastic, but unless you leave it covered for the next 2 summers it will come back. I had my garden where my watermelons where growing last year covered for almost 6 months and the burmuda grass was still alive under it. Its is probably one of the toughest grasses to get rid of and spreads real quick. Be sure when you do round up it isn't suppose to rain for the next 24 hrs or so. The longer it can sit on the plant with out getting washed off the more likely it will kill it completley the first time. I hope this was helpful. The other down side to black plastic is Black Widows love it. I found 5 of them in the black plastic that was under my water melons when I pulled it up.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You might want to check with your local county extension agent. Tucson is way, way off my turf but based on northern U.S. experience Round-Up is much more effective when applied in the fall but before the plants go dormant. In my experience Round-Up is most effective at moderate temps: above 60F but below 80F (at least for the four to eight hour interval after you apply it). If that experience holds in the extreme SW it may better to wait until October but as I said I'd check with local sources for advice.

A good friend of mine used to live in Tucson, it is a nice city. I wish you'd send some of your Mexican restaurants up here.

Return to “Lawn Care”