Tron142
Newly Registered

Lawn turning yellow from Fertilizing

Hi A few days ago I put some of, Scotts Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer 30-0-3. After a few days, my ENTIRE lawn has turned yellow. I'm thinking that I put too much fertilizer. The bag actually says that it "won't burn lawn.... gauranteed!" I guess it lied to me. LOL.

I am wondering how I could save my lawn and make it green again. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

PS - here's the product

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/scotts-turf-builder-lawn-fertilizer-30-0-3/916940

Dr Blade

Yipes, thats a high nitrogen fertilizer, if you over applied there's a good chance the Nitrogen is doing damage. The best thing to do is water as much as possible everyday and wait and see if you see new shoots emerge in a few weeks. - Good Luck.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I followed your link to Home De(s)pot, but there doesn't seem to be an option to read the *entire product label.* :x Interesting.

Were there any guidelines on how much to apply per square area? It's absurd for a product to say "cannot burn" whatever, regardless of application rate...surely someone, somewhere will test them by dumping the entire bag out at once?!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

To much Fertilizer restricts any plant even grass from absorbing water so make sure you water it . Watering may save the grass and wash some of the strong nitrogen away! Nitrogen will make the grass greener if applied correctly, just like you see around a barn from the manure urine!

Tron142
Newly Registered

Okay, so I've watered my grass quite a bit. It looks like certain spots of green grass has grown. I still have a lot of areas where there is yellow. Should I continue watering from here? Also, what do I do if I can't repair the yellow patches? Is there something I could do to fix it from here?

I'm really new at this (1st time home owner) so I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

I'll try getting some photo's of my grass too.

Return to “Lawn Care”