sam.mullin
Newly Registered

pet pee stains on yard

Hi there - I am the owner of two female dogs. When they urinate on the lawn, it kills the grass. Is there a solution to this? Putting down new grass seed? Fertilizing? I'm not sure where to begin because they have left patched everywhere.
I also live in an area where the are tonnes of dogs left to roam so I also have them urinating and defecating on my lawn. It's a challenge to keep up with.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance,
Sam

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The acid in the pee kills the lawn, you could water the spots to help wash it out. You could try spreading some lime.

Dr Blade

also cultivate the spot somewhat so the ammonia gets released from the soil and dissipates.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

sam.mullin wrote:Hi there - I am the owner of two female dogs. When they urinate on the lawn, it kills the grass. Is there a solution to this?
I can't speak from personal experience (I've had female dogs, but no lawn), but [url=https://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=44465]this[/url] and similar products from large, independent pet-supply companies are marketed to help with this problem. Maybe purchase one small container and then, if it works, purchase a larger volume at a discount?

This is only one of their products; I know that food supplements are also available, but tend to give treats/rewards first, since I constantly train and reinforce my dogs' behavior. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Lawn Care”