Grass Seed

I was wondering how long a bag of seed will last. I had a huge bag from quite a few years ago and I used it in an area I removed old stone and put down top soil. Will it grow if it is old seed? It is Blue Grass and I have heard that can take awhile to grow. How will I know if I am wasting my time watering it? I covered it with organic covering to keep it moist and keep the birds from eating it and my dog from coming in covered in mud.

Dr Blade

Bluegrass takes around 25 - 30 days to germinate, its rare that a bag seed only has Bluegrass in it, check the bag, to see if it has other varieties, like rye or fescue which will germinate much quicker, perennial rye - 7 days.

If you kept the seed dry and cool it will last a few years, I know they say it should be planted by the expiration date but I have had plenty of success with 2 year old seed.

Hortman

Hello Guest. Ken here in the Chicago area. I have one question for you.
How deep was the organic covering that you put over the seed? Make sure
that the covering is only ¼ inch or less. If it is more, then the grass will never
see the light of day. Good luck and take care.

BrittB
Newly Registered

I recently did an experiment with how long different types of grass take to germinate. From what I recall, Kentucky Blue only took 5-7 days to first germinate. Unless Blue grass, and Kentucky Blue are two completely different ones..

Return to “Lawn Care”