Freind

Squirrels in the yard

Hello everyone,
In my lawn I have seen some squirrels and I also noticed that they are digging on my flowerbed. Is there anyway I can keep them away from lawn.
Thanks,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I doubt they will hurt your lawn or your flower bed. The worst that might happen is next year you will have sunflowers or walnut trees or whatever seeds and nuts they found and buried, popping up.

They don't eat your lawn or your flowers (though they will take some bites out of tomatoes if you have them), but they do like to bury things for later and then they forget where they put everything.

Enjoy the show, they are fun to watch!

An interesting little tidbit is that when you see double trees like this:

[img]https://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt102/rainbowgardener/Sierra%20Club%20Tahoe%20Trip%202011/SCT43.jpg[/img]

that's often because a squirrel buried two seeds in the same spot, as they like to do. (That's a picture I took on my Tahoe trip last year)

Freind

I'm already pulling some plants with the seeds everywhere in my yard. But you are right about the tomatoes. From last 3 years we are planting tomatoes but we didn't get the chance to consume a single piece of tomato from our yard. Whenever we tried to pull them, all we see half eaten tomatoes. that's why I'm trying to keep them away if anyone can help.
Thanks.

Freind

Thanks.
Is there any other way instead of dogs’ fur? I was thinking that if I keep a small statue of any animal like owl or dog etc. will it work?

Freind

okay lets see what I can do. Thanks again.

Jemoiselle
Newly Registered

Rainbowgardener what a fantastic tidbit of trivia! I will be looking for those double trunked trees now for sure! What fun. Thanks for sharing!

OP - I am a newbie on the board, and NOT an expert of anything :wink: but I was wondering, have you considered putting out squirrel feeders as a way of keeping them out of mischief? Peanuts are cheap, dog hair free (though that was an AWESOME idea and I am by no means knocking it! I might even try it someday!) and high calorie which will attract them over veggies I should think any day, as long as you keep them stocked? I *might* consider trying that myself if I had issues with them! Sadly, when I moved to my new place, I put up feeders galore and have yet to see a single squirrel or chipmunk! Trade me your chipmunk problem! :lol:

Best of luck and do let us know what you decide and how it works for you!

Jemoiselle

Jemoiselle
Newly Registered

Oh my gosh note to self, check dates of threads! How embarrassing haha! Sorry! Being that it has been a considerable time since this thread originated, what ended up happening? Did you find something that worked? 8)

Freind

Jemoiselle wrote:Oh my gosh note to self, check dates of threads! How embarrassing haha! Sorry! Being that it has been a considerable time since this thread originated, what ended up happening? Did you find something that worked? 8)
No.
But the last thing which I remember that when I went to the pet store and ask for the dog hair. The grummer looks me like I'm from some other planet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just wrap my tomato plants or the bed they are in, in deer netting/ bird netting. It is very light, flexible, cheap. Wrap it around stakes so it doesn't lie too close to the plants. Stake it down with earth staples at the bottom and tie it together over the top, to make a cage. Keeps all the critters away.

Since I have squirrels, raccoons, possums, woodchucks, etc, I would never get to eat a tomato, if I didn't cage them in.

I think the dog hair would work for awhile, but you would have to keep renewing it as the scent fades out. Really only practical if you have a furry dog.

Squirrel feeders don't really keep them from taking bites out of your tomatoes, which they do more for the juice anyway - that's why they never actually eat a whole tomato. And they like variety in their diet!

bnoles

I think I am going to opt for a couple of outdoor cats and keep them on the hungry side. :twisted:

Return to “Lawn Care”