koala33
Newly Registered

75% weeds in my yard - what is the best way to get rid?

Not a green thumb at heart but slowly learning. We are stationed in a townhouse and 75% of the yard is infested in weeds. When I cut the yard it looks ok, but if I take a rake to it, all the weeds pull up and it looks terrible. Tonight we spent a couple of hours pulling weeds (lots of soil had to come up along with them), but we are afraid this will not end our problems. Housing will not do anything for us.

So..

What is the best way to get rid of all these weeds? Do we really have to go by hand through the whole yard pulling weeds, then lay soil where needed and plant new grass? If you need any other information, please let me know. Not sure what types of weeds they are. Most of them come out fairly easy. Some of the weeds have thick stems with white sap in the center (not that many in the yard) - I believe those are poisonous. There are also vines in the neighbors yard that creeps over. It doesn't help that they do not take care of their yard either (on either side of us).

Rabbits2

I would make a few frames and make raised beds over the areas. Put papper or straw at the bottom over the weeds and make you own soil! The other harder way that works is take a 10 by 10 area and dig the first 6 inch layer of soil off and put it in a pile. Now dig the 10 by 10 area about a foot deep and put all the soil in anothe pile. Now put the top layer of grass on the bottom of the hole and cover the layer with straw and news papper. No finish by putting the pile of good seedless soil on top of the papper. Add some fertilizer and you are ready for a good garden! hope this helps from Bobberman!

Return to “Lawn Care”