tomf
Super Green Thumb

Looking into a new PTO finish mower?

I am looking at getting a 72" or 60" rear discharge PTO finish mower. It take to long to mow with the rider mowers and the brush hog is not really meant for finish mowing. With a PTO mower I can do the job much faster due to size and the speed that I could run the tractor at. I have been looking at Craig's list for a used one but no luck so far.

Does any one have any good advice? What brands have you used that you feel are worth the price. I would like to keep it under $2000.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are way out of my league, can't help, but what is PTO - paid time off, parent teacher organization, patent and trademark office....

tomf
Super Green Thumb

LOL!

PTO= power take off; on the back of a tractor there is a shaft that powers things you hook up to the tractor. Things like a mower or rototiller connect to a 3 point hitch and the PTO.

I posted on Tractorbynet.com and got some advice, I was even told I could go as large as 84", now that is a big mower! I think 72" is plenty big for my needs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ha! Rainbow beat me to asking what PTO stood for! :)

I took out most of my lawn a few years ago. If you used that 84" monster on the lawn I have left, two passes would probably complete the entire job of mowing! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Me too, except in my case, you'd have to be in the neighbor's yard to turn it around between passes.

Hortman

Hey tomf. Ken here in the Chicago area. I just googled PTO finish mower
and clicked on Ebay. There were several mowers for sale well under $2000.
A lot of the brands I was not familiar with, but I would buy anything from
John Deere. I hope this helps. Good luck and take care.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ken one of my riding mowers is a JD and it works well, it is just too small and it takes more than a day to mow the lawn with it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have done a bit of reading on them and I am looking to buy a used one so as not to rob the bank account. I got some mowing done with one of my riding mowers but only one lawn and part of another; most of the lawns are going to grow this week as it is going to rain all week.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did a lot of reading on the net and looked at some mowers so I would not be so uninformed when I got one. I ordered a 72" one yesterday it is built well and at a good cost; it will be delivered any day. Photos to follow. :)

Return to “Lawn Care”