Freind

Weed Problem

Hello Everyone,

At the beginning of last winter I planned to make a flower/shrub bed at one of my backyard corner. This corner is also have some weeds and sweet olive tree. Most of the weeds is look like st Augustine, but they grow faster, upright and the leaves are thicker then st Augustine some time times bulb like thing in the top center. I cut of the grass, covered heavily with pine shaving and make the border with bricks. The weed seems pretty much in control and very less in amount. Almost 3 weeks ago I pulled the weeds by digging them out in a hope that it will not come or may come less. But guess what just in two weeks they grow again like a bamboo, covering more area as previous. I planned to plant some shrub but I want to get rid of these weeds 1st. I'm not using any chemicals as it may effect the sweet olive tree. So anyone can advise what should I do which is more effective with fast results.

I have one more question. This year the sweet olive produced more flower bud or seeds or fruits, I don't know what they are called. They fall off in hundreds. And I like to know that would these seeds do on my flowerbed. Do they reproduce? I'm not able to pick them up as they are in hundreds. Please advise.

Thanks.

JackMatt18

what might be happening is the seeds falling from the olive tree might be what is reproducing what are called sucker growth growing from the roots of the tree or seeds causing this unwanted growth. try to find a fruit tree friendly organic spray this should help with your problem.

Freind

Thanks. The weeds which are growing are more like some kind of grass. Anyway is there any weed killer available in the market which don't effect the shrubs. I bought some but I'm not planting them as I want to take care of the weeds.
Thanks.

wsommariva

Sound like you need a grass killer. Read the label and it may tell you when you can plant stuff.

Freind

Thanks

Return to “Lawn Care”