jbander

Ground cover to replace grass , can't mow this area any more

I'm looking for a ground cover that can be used in Minnesota area 3-4 that needs no mowing that isn't terribly expensive , something not to tall, ideally short.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's some cold hardy low-growing ground covers, that are relatively quick spreading. I can't really speak to the expensiveness, some would be more than others. But you can stretch the budget just by spacing them out more with mulch in between and being patient for a couple years while they fill in.

bishop's weed, ajuga/ carpet bugle, euonymus, mahonia/ oregon holly grape, lady's mantle.

applestar
Mod

If this is a no mow area, is it also not for walking on etc.? What kind of sun and moisture lvls?

jbander

applestar wrote:If this is a no mow area, is it also not for walking on etc.? What kind of sun and moisture lvls?
It is half sun during the day and I plan to make a stone walk were we will be walking. There's just a couple inches of black dirt on sand . I'm looking for something short. what about creeping Charley. Thats a low growing plant with little blue flowers , I think.

Return to “Lawn Care”