cbustaylor
Newly Registered

Leveling parts of an existing lawn

I have a 20'x20' back yard that has a couple problems - spots are unlevel and only about 60% coverage with grass. I'm starting by tackling the unlevel spots. These come in a couple varieties: (1) high spots, mounds about 2-3ft in diameter, (2) uneven spots where it dips from the average level and (3) a large spot on the edge, about 4-5' in diameter that slopes off to about, at worst, 4" below the rest of the lawn.

With the patchy grass that is there, can I just cover it up in the low spots? And what do I cover it with? Just topsoil or some mixture?

And with the high spots, the grass isn't great. Should I just dig out the grass and some dirt to make it level? Or try to save the grass?

So many thanks for your help!!! I've tried to find a local service to come consult, but I haven't had luck. They either want a contract to do something monthly or want to sod my lawn.

cbustaylor
Newly Registered

I appreciate that advice. I'm not sure that the total amount of soil present will get the job done - more low spots than high ones. What should I be adding in needed areas? Topsoil? And if I am going to the trouble of tilling, anything else I should be trying to mix in while doing it to help the grass seed?

I wouldn't be against hearing non-tilling options too ;)

cbustaylor
Newly Registered

I read more about tilling last night and I think it probably is best. My previous experience was operating a large tiller (125+ lbs) and I wasn't sure how I would accomplish that. But seeing I can rent smaller ones, more appropriate for my yard is good to know.

I think I have reservations about destroying what grass I do have, but when I look at it, it really is a sad unhealthy looking bunch of stubby grass. Nothing like my ideal vision.

Couple quick questions... once I till, do I need to wait for it to settle? Do I need to pack it down at all?

And once I till, compost, seed, etc... how long does it take grass to grow in? Just trying to set my expectations.

Thanks!

greenstubbs

Grass will germinate when temps hit 60+, even if the nights are cool and daytime hi's hit 60 is good. Seems like for you the time is now to get crackin before it gets to hot. If you don't get rain, just lightly water to keep it damp so seed can germinate. Good Luck

cbustaylor
Newly Registered

Any advice on what tiller... 2HP? Rear tiller? I was told by the rental place the rear tiller would be best and a 2HP too weak for the job of tearing up packed lawn, rather than tilling flowerbeds. This means also renting a trailer and all that work, but if its what's needed, I'll do it. Advice?

Return to “Lawn Care”