Trickle56
Newly Registered

First lawn Help

Howdy y'all need a little help getting my lawn in tip top shape. I've lived in the house a little over a year. I mowed the lawn once a week last summer. Grass grew really well. It just didn't look like the rest of the lawns in the neiborhood. Other yards seemed more green and the grass looked (softer) if I had to describe it haha. Well now that's it getting a little warmer pushing the 60's here I've got alot of weeds. A couple spots with dark green leafy tuffs and the little weed Things with the purple flower/ bulb.

So where should I start? I need to mow it since it hasn't been mowed since the middle of September but I feel I should spray the weeds first. I don't know what will kill the weeds but not the grass. Then after my weeds are gone. What should I do too bring my lawn to that nice healthy green look? So far what little research I've gathered I wished I would of thought of this back in the fall. I appreciate any help. I'll post some pics later to better give y'all an idea of where I'm at.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

They make a commercial Weed and Feed product that can be found at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a granular product that you broadcast into the lawn that is suppose to kill the weeds and nourish the grass.

My lawn is St. Augustine grass and it is thick as thieves in the back yard but still kind of sparse in my small front yard. I figure by the end of this summer season, the St. Aug will overtake the weeds and BS grass in the front since it grows like mad in the spring and summer. The only time I used this product was after Hurricane Katrina flooded my property for weeks with salt water and my grass was all destroyed. I fought more weeds that I care to think about the first couple years before the back yard got re-established with St. Aug.

Trickle56
Newly Registered

Thanks gumbo. So I'll be ok without spot spraying? I have pics just trying to figure out how to post them.[/img]

Return to “Lawn Care”