RuHappy69

Weed and feed for lawns - Liquid vs. Granular?

What is the difference? I have 2 very different quote prices for 3 separate treatments on a soccer field. The liquid application is closer to $500 where the granular is over $900. If the chemicals used are apples to apples then why is there that much of a difference?

RuHappy69

This is the lawn care forum, I figured there would be a huge knowledge base to answer? Please help!

turfdr
Newly Registered

My best guess is that the granular has a fertilizer with it but not the liquid.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

unfortunately, lawn care questions often go begging around here. Of the regulars, most of us aren't really into lawns, preferring to put the space in to veggies, flowers, herbs, shrubbery, etc... And many of us are more or less strictly organic gardeners so don't have any experience with the kind of chemicals you are talking about. Soccer field is an industrial sized application. There is likely some more specialized source of information than a forum where backyard gardeners discuss general gardening topics.

Hortman

Hey RuHappy69. Ken here in the Chicago area. Welcome to the forum.
The difference between the liquid and the granular is this. The liquid is sprayed
on and the granular is spread on. The liquid soaks in while the granular needs the
extra step of being watered in. The liquid also has fertilizer in it being a weed and
feed. The granular probably costs more to make also. I hope this helps. Take care.

applestar
Mod

At a guess, the liquid is mostly water, whereas the granular is more concentrated per pound of the actual active (expensive) ingredients.

The liquid formulation may be mixed by the company so may have cost them less in (packaging/storage/shipping) in the original concentrated form.

There may also be difference in long term release of the nutrients/cides compared to the liquid form which may be leached, run off, or is subject to volatile loss.

Return to “Lawn Care”