Jes

Cow pasture turned lawn

Our lawn (we rent) use to be a cow pasture. Other than the one acre that we on, the rest of the land behind us is still cow pasture. While it's been a long time since cows were run on it, it doesn't look its best. There's grass but also some weeds here and there, and it just looks straggly and pitted in general. There was also a large area that was 6 feet tall with weeds and brush until we hacked it all down last summer. We spent the majority of the summer mowing regularly (which hadn't been done), cleaning up trash that was half buried, and removing a lot of rocks (enough to build a huge fire pit...and then some). This year I would like to work on making it look a little less like a cow field and a little more like a yard.

I plan to make compost tea and spraying it over the yard to help the grass grow some, and I'll pull weeds one by one as I see them. Are there any tips anyone can give me? I don't expect overnight results but when we eventually move out (5 or more years) I would like for it to look better than it does now.

OH, there's also a spot where a pool used to be that is still mostly sand. What can I do about that? Right now it's where I built the fire pit, but it isn't in the best location...right between a rickity old lean-to shed and our new redneck chicken coop. :roll:

Jes

Any ideas?

Return to “Lawn Care”