Vorguen

Help, taking care of lawn for the first time!

so, I basically just bought my own house, and I am taking care of a lawn for the first time in my life.

This is the amount of information I know about taking care of lawns:

Zero.

LOL!

Just wondering for a little bit of wisdom when it comes to taking care of lawns, the obvious stuff that I probably don't even know... and most importantly, how do I get ahold of a good Lawn Mower for a good price? I really don't have a lot of money but I definitely want something that will be good, doesn't break easily, and gets the job done.. Maybe a good quality:price ratio if you know what I mean...

Any recommendations / suggestions?

Thanks!

Vorguen

Ha! I never thought of it that way, but I know the basics of gardening and caring for plant life and mother nature, so I know that applies to mowing too... you don't want to over-mow or mow your plants too short, etc.

the size of my backyard is actually pretty small, its a typical sized urban lawn, my house is 1300 sq ft, so the backyard is probably like 500 sq ft? thats a complete estimation but it cant be more than 200~ sq ft off, I mean I borrowed an old lawn mower from my neighbor for the front lawn (I can get fined if it gets too tall lol) and the front lawn is probably 70-80% the size of my backyard and I mowed it in about 10 mins...

these are all guesses really, but I say my backyard is pretty average for an urban home

Vorguen

If someone can help me that would be amazing! I'm still on the rush looking for a lawn mower :(

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I work on lawn and garden / contractor's equipment for a living. I would say Honda makes the best walkbehind mower. I'm thinking out of your league. Toro makes a good mower. Toro Recycler mulching mower.

Cut your lawn high and leave the clippings. Most people scalp their lawns, wanting a putting green.

I like the idea of spread a thin layer of compost. I would start there.

Eric

Vorguen

How much do these mowers cost? since price is one of the biggest problems for me...

:(

also, are all lawn mowers on gasoline or are there some that run on electricity?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

$150.00 to over $1000.00 for a walkbehind. Go to garage sales. :wink:

Gasoline, Electric, Propane, Hydrogen and Blood sweat and tears.

[url=https://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Sy50H__ZF2vWgM:&imgrefurl=https://someyapping.com/Manual-Push-Reel-Mowers.aspx&docid=unKEh308I1VhnM&imgurl=https://someyapping.com/Media/ReelMower.jpg&w=800&h=596&ei=2IETT8_tCIqSiQLpo_HODQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=717&vpy=99&dur=5500&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=141&ty=112&sig=117125050512534924447&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=203&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0]Blood, sweat and tears[/url]

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We probably have similarly sized amount of mowed lawn, small patches in front and back. We used an electric mower with a cord for a long time and currently have a rechargeable electric cordless. I recommend electric for being cheaper, totally quiet (mow your lawn early Sun AM without bothering the neighbors :) ), less polluting, and very easy. The cordless makes it even easier and with a small lawn you can do it on one charge.

Look around eBay, craigslist, etc for a used one.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:$150.00 to over $1000.00 for a walkbehind. Go to garage sales. :wink:

Gasoline, Electric, Propane, Hydrogen and Reel

[url=https://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=Sy50H__ZF2vWgM:&imgrefurl=https://someyapping.com/Manual-Push-Reel-Mowers.aspx&docid=unKEh308I1VhnM&imgurl=https://someyapping.com/Media/ReelMower.jpg&w=800&h=596&ei=2IETT8_tCIqSiQLpo_HODQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=717&vpy=99&dur=5500&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=141&ty=112&sig=117125050512534924447&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=203&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0]Reel[/url]

Eric

Vorguen

My wife and I have been considering one of the push mowers that turn when you push them and have blades underneath that spin (the non electric non gas ones) I think reel mower you all said?

Are those harder to use and get your lawn cut than regular mowers? we like the fact that its good for the environment and it saves on costs :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Keep them clean, sharp and adjusted. You get a little work out, but not bad. You have to stay on top of the mowing. :wink: This type of more is actually better for the grass. It cuts instead of tearing like a rotary mower.

I'm more of a "Food not Lawns" kind of guy.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had one (a reel mower) and gave up on it.... It is a lot harder to use on our uneven and in places steeply sloped lawn. In places since the ground is pretty uneven, it didn't seem to do as good a job. If you have a nice flat lawn, it would probably do fine and not be all that much harder than an electric walk behind.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Editing?

Vorguen

For the most part our lawn is completely flat, except around the edges where it meets the sidewalk in the front lawn, but its not really too bad.

Well its better for your grass, its cheaper, and better for the environment...

I think I might get one XD

How much do these cost? and do department stores have them? (Like Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart, etc)..

or do I have to order them online?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Garage sales, Consignment stores, Rental yards, your Grandfather's garage. I would not buy new. You may even be able to get one free.

Just looked on Ebay. $75.00 to $100.00. :shock:

Eric

Vorguen

Going to start asking around for push reel mowers... hope I can bump into something good :)

Vorguen

dang san antonio is 4-5 hours away from where I live :(

I have friends / family there though let me ask them if they'll take a look for me though :)

I live in the Rio Grande Valley

Return to “Lawn Care”