alanpollock
Newly Registered

Identify this weed ?

Hi I'm a totally ignorant gardener and I have a persistent weed in my lawn which grows in shady areas particulary around the conseravatory walls. It's slowly spreading and I would like to get rid of it.
Green Thumb treat the lawn four times a year but the guys who visit don't know what is is or how to get rid of it.
It has small, 1cm shiny leaves, no stems just a little bit of root attached directly to the leaves. It can climb up brickwork. See picture attached, please can anybody help ?
Hope the upload works !
Alan

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/p1020249k.jpg/

lorax
Greener Thumb

It looks like liverwort to me, at which point the things you do to get rid of "normal" weeds won't touch it - it's too primitive. Have you tried simply spraying it with white vinegar? That's what we use here when it tries to climb the adobe houses.

alanpollock
Newly Registered

Hi lorax

Thanks for the prompt reply - I shall try the vinegar trick - once we get a dry day! We have had so much cold rain in Scotland over the last few weeks the grass is just soggy.

Regards Alan

lorax
Greener Thumb

Do it in the rain, soggy be darned. It rarely dries out in the places that liverworts prefer to live, so you have to be a bit opportunistic - as in, "it's not pishing down in buckets, so I'll go spray the liverworts."

Return to “Lawn Care”