SamCec
Newly Registered

Hard to grow grass due to dogs

Hi: I'm new to this forum so I would like to say hello to everyone. My wife and I have 2 Border Collies. We bought them in November 2010 and just last week, they turned one.

I've always enjoyed a nice looking lawn but I don't have a green thumb. Several areas of our backyard are bare or dead grass due to the dogs. I have tried spot seeding and putting chicken wire around those areas so that the dogs don't get to it. The dogs were blocked but the seed did not grow.

I live in Pennsylvania, about 30 miles North of Philadelphia. I am looking for advice on how I can get grass to grow in the areas mentioned above. The rest of my lawn is made up of primarily Kentucky Blue Grass. This is the backyard I'm talking about so if I need to put a different grass seed, it wouldn't bother me.

I also need advice on what seed to buy. If you have a brand in mind, please pass it on.

Thanks,
Sam

Fig3825

How did you plant the seed? Most often, you'll want to rake the area with a metal rake creating about 1/4" deep ruts to scatter your seed in. Alternatively, you can drop the seed on the ground and lay down a light layer of topsoil over the seed. You have to keep it wet. The ground should be somewhat wet when you start as well (helps with germination and it'll help make it easier to rake!).

The ideal time to seed is in another month, for fall planting, and in or around March, for Spring planting. I imagine with some care you can plant just about anytime, though, aside from mid-winter.

I'm in no way a pro, but I've read everything I wrote above here in these forums at one point or another.

Good luck!

SamCec
Newly Registered

Roger:

Thank you for the advice. As I said in my original post, I don't have a green thumb. I'll give your way a try. Actually, I have been doing the opposite. I've been putting top soil down and then spreading the seed. One of my problems is I don't keep it wet.

Thanks Again,
Sam

Return to “Lawn Care”