greyplus1
Newly Registered

Fall Reseeding in Southeast Michigan

I'm in Rochester, Michigan will be overseeding an old existing lawn and bare patches before winter. There are many weeds and crabgrass present throughout most of the yard. How should I prepare the ground, when should I seed it, and what kind of grass is recommended? The house sits on a corner facing the north and open to the west. It gets a quite a bit of sunlight after noon. ~ Colleen

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

First you want to aerate then rake all the dead stuff away, after you put down a weed killer only above 50 degrees. Then spread some bone meal instead of fertilizer and I always liked Merion Kentucky Blue but that depends on how the lawn will be treated, a lot of foot traffic or not, then top dress with either cow manure or compost. Fertilize in the spring with Scotts. See what they have for fall crab grass and get that down before you aerate and then again in the spring. You have pre emergence, spring versus post emergence, fall. Then sit back and admire after mowing at 2 1/2 to 3" height, bag it then put in compost pile or vegey garden. The red wigglers will enjoy it.

greyplus1
Newly Registered

Thank you, Bullthistle. I especially appreciate the suggestion to aerate. I had planned on a good raking, but had not thought about aerating. I thought I would put down the weed killer in about a week to 10 days from now and plan to seed just after Labor Day. Does that sound reasonable for Michigan?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Yes and if you don't get much moisture in the spring water.

Return to “Lawn Care”