Kikz
Newly Registered

What is the name of this weed?

Hello guys,been trying to pull this weed on my lawn but I have checked that they are everywhere and just too many so I am thinking of spraying them with round up,can you guys tell me what's the name of this weed and what causes them to grow?any recommendation to kill them is highly appreciated...thanks

[img]https://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii172/joe67002/weed_grass.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

It might be Dallisgrass:
https://www.tennesseeturfgrassweeds.org/admin/Lists/Fact%20Sheets/Attachments/3/SP642.pdf

...won't spraying with roundup also kill the lawn grass that you want to keep? I don't maintain lawn (that's someone else's job :wink:) but For the ones that are in *my* area of the garden, I use my old chef's knife to pursue the clump to it's very center, then dig out a cone shaped piece out of the middle, then I put a piece of cardboard there and smother it.

Kikz
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:It might be Dallisgrass:
https://www.tennesseeturfgrassweeds.org/admin/Lists/Fact%20Sheets/Attachments/3/SP642.pdf

...won't spraying with roundup also kill the lawn grass that you want to keep? I don't maintain lawn (that's someone else's job :wink:) but For the ones that are in *my* area of the garden, I use my old chef's knife to pursue the clump to it's very center, then dig out a cone shaped piece out of the middle, then I put a piece of cardboard there and smother it.

I guess there is a special weed killer that's made for the grass,at first I was pulling them one by one but it's over the place and pulling them leaves the lawn bald coz they grow in bunches.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There is weed killer for lawns, but it is to get broad leafed weeds, like plantain and dandelion out of your lawn. I don't think there is a poison that can select for one kind of grass from another.

I'm not an expert on lawns either, but I'm guessing you have to either dig it all out and reseed the bald spots or till your lawn under and start over (killing all the weeds before you reseed). You don't want to do the latter in the heat of summer, that would be a fall project.

Kikz
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:There is weed killer for lawns, but it is to get broad leafed weeds, like plantain and dandelion out of your lawn. I don't think there is a poison that can select for one kind of grass from another.

I'm not an expert on lawns either, but I'm guessing you have to either dig it all out and reseed the bald spots or till your lawn under and start over (killing all the weeds before you reseed). You don't want to do the latter in the heat of summer, that would be a fall project.
Yeah mate maybe I will just pull them out one by one and leave it bald for a while,will lay a new sod on bigger areas and seed the smaller ones,thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, if you are going for the dig it out method, I wouldn't leave any bald spots sitting around. You'd be amazed how fast weeds can fill in bald spots. Get some grass seed. Dig out a patch of the weed grass, fill the hole with good enriched soil, water well, and plant that patch immediately! Then go on to the next patch. I know if your digging it all out project goes on for some weeks (it would if it were me!) your lawn will look a little patchy for awhile, with grass seed in all different stages of growing out. And if it is hot and dry now where you are, you will have to water the grass seed every day. But by next season it will be all evened out and you will have a lovely lawn for a little while :) (weeds being pretty persistent and ubiquitous).

Or you can just decide it is all grass and keep it mowed. If it is all green and even height, it looks pretty much like lawn!

Kikz
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Well, if you are going for the dig it out method, I wouldn't leave any bald spots sitting around. You'd be amazed how fast weeds can fill in bald spots. Get some grass seed. Dig out a patch of the weed grass, fill the hole with good enriched soil, water well, and plant that patch immediately! Then go on to the next patch. I know if your digging it all out project goes on for some weeks (it would if it were me!) your lawn will look a little patchy for awhile, with grass seed in all different stages of growing out. And if it is hot and dry now where you are, you will have to water the grass seed every day. But by next season it will be all evened out and you will have a lovely lawn for a little while :) (weeds being pretty persistent and ubiquitous).

Or you can just decide it is all grass and keep it mowed. If it is all green and even height, it looks pretty much like lawn!

I'm with you on seeding mate but my problem is,I can't find any seed that would look like a bermuda in terms of color and appearance,tried 3 kinds of seed but the colors are light green and the grass are a bit thinner compared to bermuda,I was very annoyed already becoz they grow in bunches and it's hard to pull them by the roots esp the small ones.

Return to “Lawn Care”