HamptonsGarden

Is Lime Important? My Lawn is fairly acidic

I think my lawn is pretty acidy. Have moss some places. Now that it's hot grass isn't so green. Fertilized about a month ago and getting good groth. Would lime help?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Lime is very important because it makes the other minerals in the ground more availiable to the plants by balancing the ph especially when the ph is to high!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bob meant of course especially when the pH is too low, as in acid. Lime raises pH.

Otherwise, I can't help much. I'm not a big lawn person and don't do anything to my lawn. It is a mixture of grass and weeds which to my uncritical eye looks just fine when mowed and all one length. It is growing in alkaline clay and does well there and I don't give it any thing, except a little bit of corn gluten meal once or twice a year.

HamptonsGarden

That sounds like my lawn. I use it as a frame for olanting beds. I post about it today on my blog. I mention, like yours, my lawn is a mixture of grasses, clover and moss. Will try Lime to see if I get a little greener results.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes and lime also helps reduce moss in your lawn.

I do not use herbicides on my lawn. There are animals eating it all the time. So I have a mix of grass and weeds but it is green.

Return to “Lawn Care”