rowles80
Newly Registered

What is the problem (pictures linked)

Please help me improve my lawn!

I am ready to get serious with my lawn and make it the best on the block but I need your help and direction as nothing has worked for me.

-Location & Size: My lawn is in St. Cloud, MN (zone: 4, zip code: 56303) and is a little less than a quarter acre in size.

-Type: We started it from sod about 5 years ago but I really don’t know what kind the builder put in (I would love to know if you can tell from the pics)

-Irrigation: I have sprinkler system and right now we are watering 3 days a week in the mornings.

-Mowing: I mow weekly to prevent off cutting too much with each cut (and I bag the clippings.)

-Soil: Seems pretty good, but has some clay. (not an expert so I am not sure exactly what to look for)

-Treatments: I was receiving professional spray feed/weed treatments 4 times a year but recently stopped because of poor results and a bump in pricing.

-Condition/Issue: There appears to be a lot of excess thatch or something else that causes a lot of dead brown grass trampled down or growing sideways between the healthy blades of grass. My lawn has thinned it out and caused it to have a poor color. I did attempt to dethatch using a rented dethatcher about 2 years after laying the sod but it was a lot of work and had very little impact.
I am willing to put in the time, effort, and money to get this lawn looking perfect. I have done a lot of research and I was thinking of aerating this fall and seeding/fertilizing (not sure what kind of product to use.) But can I do something in the mean time? Do I need to dethatch again before or after aerating? Am I even on the right track? Could this be a fungus or disease?

Any help or direction you can provide would be very much appreciated. I would also be happy to post pictures if need be.

Thanks again for your help!

~Shaun

mmmfloorpie

Re: What is the problem (pictures linked)

rowles80 wrote:Please help me improve my lawn!

I am ready to get serious with my lawn and make it the best on the block but I need your help and direction as nothing has worked for me.

-Location & Size: My lawn is in St. Cloud, MN (zone: 4, zip code: 56303) and is a little less than a quarter acre in size.

-Type: We started it from sod about 5 years ago but I really don’t know what kind the builder put in (I would love to know if you can tell from the pics)

-Irrigation: I have sprinkler system and right now we are watering 3 days a week in the mornings.

-Mowing: I mow weekly to prevent off cutting too much with each cut (and I bag the clippings.)

-Soil: Seems pretty good, but has some clay. (not an expert so I am not sure exactly what to look for)

-Treatments: I was receiving professional spray feed/weed treatments 4 times a year but recently stopped because of poor results and a bump in pricing.

-Condition/Issue: There appears to be a lot of excess thatch or something else that causes a lot of dead brown grass trampled down or growing sideways between the healthy blades of grass. My lawn has thinned it out and caused it to have a poor color. I did attempt to dethatch using a rented dethatcher about 2 years after laying the sod but it was a lot of work and had very little impact.
I am willing to put in the time, effort, and money to get this lawn looking perfect. I have done a lot of research and I was thinking of aerating this fall and seeding/fertilizing (not sure what kind of product to use.) But can I do something in the mean time? Do I need to dethatch again before or after aerating? Am I even on the right track? Could this be a fungus or disease?

Any help or direction you can provide would be very much appreciated. I would also be happy to post pictures if need be.

Thanks again for your help!

~Shaun
I came here with the expectation of pics :P

Return to “Lawn Care”