galawn01
Newly Registered

Help with new fescue sod!

Hi all,

I'm in Georgia.
About 3 weeks ago I put down new fescue sod. Put down fungicide and have watered each morning.
Grass took very nice and rooted well. Looked great.
Well, about 5 days ago I noticed tons of mushrooms starting to come up. Got tired of picking them each day so I looked online and some suggested sprinkling down some baking soda.
Well, that has stopped the mushrooms...but now I've got bad yellowish red patches of grass that has all thinned and is matted down and somewhat slimey.
I can't tell if this is brown patch fungus that I've read about or I've damaged the lawn big time with the baking soda.

I'm really frustrated after all the hard work of putting the sod down and watering for the last 3 weeks.
Here is is a pic of what I'm speaking of.

Thanks for any help!

https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/dsc01529j.jpg/

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Loads of experts in the world. Mushrooms will not hurt anything. In the fall rake out the brown spots and spread some grass seed. Sorry that some idiot ruined your day.

galawn01
Newly Registered

I wasn't too concerned w/the mushrooms doing any harm....they just looked terrible and I was tired of picking 50 of them and then them coming back the next morning. Funny thing is there are many people online who said to using baking soda.
I guess now I'd much rather have the mushrooms now than the red/yellow ugly spots.
The grass in spots now looks like someone stampled on it and tossed hair gel into it!

We're trying to sell the house so I won't be living at the house in the fall to put need seed down. (At least I hope we don't still have the house then!)

How can I tell if I have brown spot fungus or if the baking soda caused the issues?

Really frustrated. Don't know if the grass is salvagable now. Almost at the point of pulling up the ruined areas and putting new sod down!

supernnyl

I live in Atlanta, and at the end of April, I put down fescue sod in the lawn. It took root and started growing beautifully. Whereas I did have a few mushrooms to come up next to the foundation of the house, I simply kicked them over and they never came back. However, the lawn people came and cut the fescue to a level that I deem as too short. I watered it daily, but the brown spots (EXACTLY like the one in the picture that you included) keep coming. From what I have read, I think that I have overwatered and watered at night, both of which have promoted fungus growth. I'm not sure if it's Brown Patch or what, but I can tell you that it had nothing to with baking soda. I never used it. Now my problem keeps getting worse.

galawn01
Newly Registered

Supernnyl,

I feel your pain.

I wish I had not put down the baking soda so that wouldn't even be a thought in my mind now!

I still have great looking grass from the new sod in a large area of my lawn...but I also have dead areas.
I spoke to some lawn care people and they said fescue is just really had to maintain in the heat this time of year.
I'm going to rake up the dead spots and put some seed down with top soil over it with some hay on top of that...see what happens. Worst case it just comes up strong next season. I'm so tired of dealing w/the lawn at this point!

Funny thing is last season I put down a bunch of Scotts fescue dark shade mix seed (in another area of my lawn) and it came up nice and then due to the heat some died off....but now this season it is looking great.

Good luck!

Return to “Lawn Care”