chitown
Newly Registered

Fixing patches...Frustrated!

So we had a landscaper come out and dethatch our dead-looking lawn. The prior owner of our new house apparently hadn't done it in years, and there was an overwhelming rug of thatch that was blocking any new grass from growing. He also aerated.

As part of the service, the landscaper also "fixed" some existing patches, as well as some that became apparent upon the thatch removal.

Here the problem: he threw some straw down, and told us to just keep it moist (note he did this upon our inquiry...he originally just left us to our own devices).

After 8 days, I lifted some of the straw, and what I found was disappointing. I.E., what can best be described as a very lightly seeded dirt cake with a few sparse, sad blades sticking out. The "cakes" seem well above grade, and if I remove them, so go the very few pathetic blades of new grass with it. If I leave them there, I'm afraid that the dirt is too exposed, and the grass too thin, for them to ever be anything more than glorified dirt rocks.

It's as if instead of putting seed down with some soil on top, he made little grass "burial mounds" all over our yard. Needless to say I'm irritated. Finding honest landscapers who know what they're doing seems impossible, and it's not for our lack of willingness to pay.

So, that's the sob story. Here's my inquiry: I'm thinking I might as well just trash those spots and start over, but I'm not sure how best to proceed. Furthermore, I need to fertilize. Do I avoid those spots, or is it safe/smart to fertilize where new grass will go? These may sound like dumb questions, but I'm new to all this and I've seen horror stories.

Thanks in advance!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Take a stiff rake and rake them so as to soften up the dirt. Get some of the seed that is coated to grow and plant away.

Return to “Lawn Care”