greenqueen

Renovation a clay soil lawn

Has anyone actually succeeded in renovating their hard rock clay soil to a nice soft lawn without chemicals?

I've been aerating and spreading compost for about three years now and it seems my lawn is still rock hard, when it's really dry the cracks can be very deep and wide. I've also been using corn gluten meal for pre emergent weeds and fertilizer. Is there something else I should be doing? How long does it take to see improvements?

DH is ready to start spreading chemicals again, oh no!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You need to bring in a truck or so of sand and till it in to the soil.

dirtyfingers
Cool Member

I just posted about the same problem on another thread.

I turned my clay front yard into a great lawn by mulching in A LOT OF DEAD LEAVES, then spreading Bermuda grass seeds. After the Bermuda grass took root, I then plugged it with St. Augustine for a very hearty type lawn for the dog and son to play in.

Ofer

Here are 2 main solutions:

first is to understand the problem: what tend to happend is that the roots of the turf can not get oxigen or water or both as the clay get so compacted wet or dry.

Fairly clear nead to improve the problem to add something ''airy'' but also keep the area from getting compacted again.

both solutions are based on the same ideas:
1. making the area airy
2. spreading the weight so once you put the weight on it will spread on larger area and prevent the compacting impact. ( same as you can do while walking on snow or even bombs)

both are needed new foundations:
1. use volcanic rocks or expanded clay 5 inch layer of 9-15mm grains
on top of that same 2-3 inches of same material 2-8mm grains with about third compost. plant the turf on top of it. that is it. airy area that works perfectly even for footbal patches.

2. You can buy plastic frames that looks like egg boxes, these are layed on the ground filled with mix of compost 20-30% and sand/ expanded clay / or perlite. seed the turf inside.

If you want a half solution without changing the foundaition much.
keep the area from getting too dry, lay 1-2 inches of expanded clay/ volcanic rocks and compost 50-50%. a bit sharp but will go in the ground after a short while.

Return to “Lawn Care”