Shane's-lawn
Newly Registered

Need help starting lawn!

Hi, I just bought a home on Long Island, New York. The back yard has very few spots that actually have grass, the rest is covered with rocks the size of 1/4" to a baseball. In some spots there is actually beach sand(don't live near beach). When you dig down a bit the soil looks pretty nice and fertile.
I made a Soil Sifter out of 2 x 4's and 1/4" chicken wire 2' x 4'. It fits perfectly over the 2 wheel wheel barrow. I have been using the rocks around the perimeter of the house. I put down hard black plastic edging to make a flower bed. Then I pinned landscape cloth the length of the bed with 8 inch overhang on both sides. I filled the bed with rocks pitched away from the house about 18". I cut away exposed landscape cloth. I have done a 12' x 12' section of the backyard so far(backyard is apx 60 x 120). I went down about 4 inches pulling up any roots or weeds as I go. But with the hard rake I keep pulling up more rocks with very little effort. Which I guess is fine cause they have to come up right?
I was thinking about renting a rototiller to breakup the earth so it will be easier to Sift. But I was reading on some other forums that rototilling is not the way to go. Because of up rooting unwanted seeds of crab grass, weeds etc. Also that it would be near impossible to do unless you did it with a tractor. Because a walk behind is too hard to keep level and would give you an uneven surface. Any thoughts?
Also I believe I have a mole problem. I have seen some tunnels by some plants I recently transplanted. Sadly I collasped every tunnel I could see, well sad for the mole that is.
Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics soon. Again Thank you for reading and helping.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I used moth balls & moth flakes for my mole problem. Not perfect but it helps. I rototilled my lawn because I wanted to amend the soil and yes weeds will grow as well as the grass however a good seeding will crowd out the weeds if you seed then top dress with bone meal to promote root growth or else you can lay sod but you still would have to amend the soil and check the pH while you are at it. FYI the plastic will break down and you'll have a weed problem in two years. Fabric is the best alternative.

Shane's-lawn
Newly Registered

Thank you for your imput bullthistle. The plastic was the edging around the bed. I checked the brand it was called weed blocker 10 year fabric. I was talking to my neighbor today, he said he has moles on the other side of my fence the length of his yard. So I guess I have em too.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The napthalene is a bad idea for the moles and voles, and all other living things... Known carcinogen, known high level toxin; sure it will get rid of moles, and it may well kill you in the process. [url=https://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35114]Here's some info[/url]...

OK, new lawn in L.I. First of all, four thousand years ago, L.I. was part of the great Eastern Sandplain which ran from North of Boston (Cape Ann) to the Cheasapeake. Rising seas have left little but Cape Ann, Cape Cod, L.I., Southern Jersey and the Delmarva Peninsula. SO of course you have sand...

Screening soil is okay for leveling and such, but we like a good finished compost (if it's good and finished it doesn't need sifting). This is a much better idea to get humus into your sand (sandy soils with a decent aamount of humus are perfect for lawn).

What's NOT perfect for lawn is doing it in spring. Lawns should be seeded in fall when weed pressure is lowest. Chemical companies are the ones who tell you to do it now so they can sell more chemicals, as weeds will be a MUCH bigger issue now. Rototilling IS a bad idea as it will destroy what little biology you have left in your depleted soil.

Moles just mean you have worms, and that's good, not bad. I don't worry about them at all in my lawn, just stomp down tunnels when I see them. Most of the time you don't notice anyway... Much ado about nothing...

I would topdress with a 1/4 inch of compost now, seed with white clover to fix the compost (and to fix atmospheric nitrogen into the soil, clover is great like that), as clover will germinate cool and wet and compete with other weeds well. Then I would overseed that in fall say September) with triple T fescue (Tall Turf Type), using a mechanical overseeder (from the rental place), making sure to make east/west passes, followed by north/south ones. A shot of corn gluten in spring (when the forsythia are in bloom), then mow high (3-4") and you are all set.

Good luck!

HG

Shane's-lawn
Newly Registered

[/img][url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61654161@N07/5611514518/[/url]

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61654161@N07/5611513416/[/url]

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61654161@N07/5611573770/[/url]

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/61654161@N07/5611574874/[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Okay, you got NO topsoil... :(

You need humus if you are to get any sort of a lawn that doesn't need constant chemical intervention. I suggest getting several yards of good quality compost deliverd and getting it ont that bare butt ground as soon as possible. This will provide you with a biological innoculation to start bringing that dead soil back to life.

Good start getting the rocks and such raked off; you have a blank slate. As such, I would consider making a good deal of that space garden rather than lawn; it will be easier, less expensive in the long run (with the right plants) and less work, and it would be better for the environment...

Lawn is not the only way to cover ground...

HG

Shane's-lawn
Newly Registered

Thank you HG for the info! I still have a good way to go with rocks, lol. What are your thoughts on the use of the rocks around the house, am I asking for trouble with weeds or drainage problems ?
I am a bit all over the place here, lol. I like the idea of doing some flower beds. To the right of the backyard I have some hydrangeas and Hostas a medium size shrub or tree not sure what it is. I was looking thru a book I have 100 favorite flowering shrubs. I believe I am zone 6b. With that I was looking at fountain butterfly bush, Blue Spirea, Spring heath, Kirilow Indigo, Bush Cinquefoil and Azaleas. Would these species work well together. Any and all ideas welcome.
Now this may seem silly but with some of the descriptions of these shrubs it said attracts birds, honey bees, and butterflies. Do I want to be attracting birds and honey bees? I know the bees and butterflies help pollinate, but can you have too many bees? Butterflies I would take all day. . Would the birds clip the heads off the flowers?
Does anyone have any recommendations on what book would be the best to purchase for to learn about proper gardeing and lawn care. I need a good glossary too! Thank you for your time.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My friend Paul Tukey's book, The [url=https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Lawn-Care-Manual-Low-Maintenance/dp/1580176496]Organic Lawn Care Manual[/url] is the best book on lawns out there, bar none. He even did Martha. Get that...

We read [url=https://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microbes-Organic-Gardeners-Revised/dp/1604691131/ref=pd_sim_b_1]Teaming with Microbes[/url] with the author as our first Book Club book. It teaches you why and how organics works, and then offers tips to get started. Get that one too...

Get thee in a local gardening club; it is NOT just for blue haired ladies arranging flowers. More and more men joining our gardening club (that's right, HG is a member of his local and proud of it!) Lots of local knowledge and you all learn together. Teaching is fun once you do get the hang of it...

I keep a rock heap in a corner of the yard; I use them in drainage, to fill around fence posts, all sorts of things... as mulch? Rocks stink as mulch. Eventually it gets full of junk and then what? You have to haul it all out, screen it...wotta pain... :evil:

Too many bees? Where? We are losing bees fast. Whatever we can do to help is needed, and how! I feel lucky whenever I see one nowadays, it's all too rare. I have worked closely (like face to face) with bees for decades and have been stung twice, and it was my fault both times. If you have flowers and keep them happy, stinging you is the LAST thing on their mind. Love your bees MORE than your butterflies; the latter are pretty but don't do much for us, the bees help out with about every third mouthful of food you eat!

Okay, that's enough for now; get busy :lol:

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”