Alexander
Newly Registered

Question about killing grass/weeds naturally.

Hi everyone. New homeowner here. The previous owners of the house we just bought did a real cover up job on the back yard. In the part of the yard next to the garage, they took out the grass and laid down pebbles. The problem is that they didn't treat the dirt underneath or put the landscaping fabric. A few months ago we had rain for like a week straight and the weeds (and some grass) started growing like crazy through the pebbles. I can't use the lawnmower or weed wacker because of the pebbles so I need to kill the weeds and grass on this area. Eventually, we will redo this part but for now we just want to kill the weeks/grass. I have read of natural ways to kill them both (boiling water, alcohol, vinegar) but I'm concerned because there is a huge tree next to this part of the yard and the drip line overlaps this area. Will the vinegar/boiling water/alcohol) damage the tree as well? I don't wish to hurt the beautiful tree. There is also some lavender plants I don't wish to harm but the tree is the #1 priority. Thanks for any help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No any of the treatments you mentioned won't harm your tree, which has roots deep into the soil. You are just going to treat the weeds and the first inch of soil.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

RBG is correct (as usual); the methods you have mentioned are all about destroying the laminar surface of the leaves (drying them out).

As long as you are not getting any on the leaves, there is not effect on the other plants. That ain't always so for chemicals; yet ANOTHER reason to go low impact!

:mrgreen:

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”