Tamerlane
Newly Registered

fall leaves--leave or rake

:?: Is it better for the grass to leave the fall leaves on the ground till spring or rake them up for the compost pile?

microcollie
Green Thumb

I've found that leaves left over the winter tend to form a pretty dense, solid mat by spring, which is difficult to rake up and, if left, will smother out the grass. I like to run over mine with a mulching mower to chop them up, and then leave them. It's the one time of year when I still break out the power mower.

ACW

I have just been raking the leaves of my scrubby lawn ,sadly left it for 3 weeks and where the big chestnut leaves have been the grass has died back .
last spring was awful as I had not done the autumn raking the year before !

Tamerlane
Newly Registered

:D Thanks for the quick answer. I will do the mulching mower. Winters here are not very cold or long, so I think chopped up leaves won't compact and still add a little back to the soil.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Backraking (using the back of the rake) to work the mulch down past the crowns and into the thatch layer can be helpful if there is a heavy build-up. Other wise you can smother the turf...

HG

ACW

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Backraking (using the back of the rake) to work the mulch down past the crowns and into the thatch layer can be helpful if there is a heavy build-up. Other wise you can smother the turf...

HG
mine was well smothered yesterday the big chestnut leaves some 5 inches diameter and the grass was suffering , later will get a fall of narrow leaved weeping willow ,those the worms love and they disappear in days if temperatures are mild .

Tamerlane
Newly Registered

:) I really like this wonderful gardner community. You are a good bunch, and I am glad I found you.

Meanwhile, the weather change on Thanksgiving brought strong gusty winds that cleared my backyard except for one small corner by the house that will need to be raked. In the front yard, too, about half the layer of Silver Maple leaves was blown away. It is now in good shape for trying the mulching and back-raking technique.

Again, thanks a lot for your answers.

Return to “Lawn Care”