Windchanter
Newly Registered

Questions about grass in Miami, Fl (and also jasmine)

Hi! I just purchased a rundown (new for me) old house. I know how to fix up the house. I have some ideas for the yard, but I know nothing at all about grass. I am in Miami Florida, this house is about 2 miles to the beach and "soil" here is mostly sandy. I vove laying down on grass and walking barefoot on it, so do my daughters. But we all hate that pinchy needly grass YUK! So I have a fairly nice size yard ( for me) 11000 Sq feet. I would love to have nice soft dense pretty grass that doesent brown out and get killed by all the millions of bugs we have here. I don't mind investing in adding soil if need be now, I just don't want to deal with dead brown grass or pinchy grass. I am willing to mow every 2 weeks, but not more than that. I don't want to be a slave of the grass, but am willing to invest now in whatever would be the best soil treatment or type of grass to use. Again, I know NOTHING so I need help!.
One more thing. I LOVE the scent of jasmin, its probably the finest scent on earth. I was thinking on planting night blooming and some day blooming variety all around the house. However...The last time I did that, they all browned out and died. It wasnt lack of water, I had a good sprinkler system at the time. I don't know what cause this nor if there are any fragrant varietals that do better in South Florida. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I took the liberty of moving your post from Introductions to Lawn Care since you had a bunch of grass questions. Introductions are mainly a place to say Hi to us and not everyone takes the time to read them. Putting it here and giving it a more specific title will help make sure people who might be able to answer your question will see/ notice it. You might want to browse around the Introductory section where there's lots more tips and guidelines like this....

So glad you found us!

Return to “Lawn Care”