BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Weed I.D.s And Solutions Please!

These weeds are all over the place in my front yard and it seems the more I pick them the more they reproduce and continue to grow.. quite frustrating.. so what are they and how can I get rid of them once and for all without using weed chemical killers.

This is the weed at the moment that I am having the most trouble with.. It shows up everywhere and I can't seem to win the battle. As you can clearly see they are completely overwhelming my mini roses :(

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/Random/P6110050.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/Random/P6110051.jpg[/img]

This weed I don't see as often but I should still know what it is in order to nip it in the tush while I can before it becomes a huge problem weed like the other one has.

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/Plants/Random/P6110048.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm a little confused. All three of your pictures look like purslane to me as the main "weed." The third one also has a rose and some grass, but the weed is still purslane. Were they supposed to be different things?

Purslane is great stuff! It is closely related to moss roses which people commonly plant. It is an edible green you can put in salads or cook, make pesto with or add it to potato salad. It is high in vitamin A&C and anti-oxidants. Here's an article about uses and benefits of purslane:

https://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/articles/291/alternative-health/purslane-a-therapeutic-herb.html

Here's a thread we had on purslane last summer in which I posted a recipe for the purslane potato salad:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87589&highlight=purslane#87589

If you want to get rid of it, it's shallow rooted and easy to pull. It spreads widely from a central root and all the spreading part doesn't root, which makes it easy. Just keep pulling (and eating? :) ) it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Agreed: purslane. Yummy stuff! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

LOL!! wow! who would have thought that the plant I've been having such trouble with could be eaten :lol: I'll have to look more into it haha cuz I just havested half of it yesterday and threw it away. It is still considered a weed though right? Considering it is growing where I'd rather it didn't grow and seems to be taking over my roses? lol

There was another weed in there in the last photo I tried to highlight it but it kinda blends in. It is the one with the long stick with the five little feather like things sticking up from it. Just ignore the grass the roses and the Purslane and you'll see it lol

microcollie
Green Thumb

Do you mean the grass flower? Looks like plain old crabgrass.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Ah!! So thats what it is! Crabgrass flowers... lol Thats exactly what I was looking at ty :D

microcollie
Green Thumb

I want to come live in your house if you've never seem crabgrass before :lol:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

lol I know right! I must have it pretty good here considering the weeds I have are edible and I rarely see any crazy mean weeds lol ... haha but I have seen crabgrass b4 at parks and stuff just never knew what it was called.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanx Everyone For the Information :)

SkyKero
Cool Member

Rose Moss --- can it be eaten??
I had a lot in my flower garden this year -- it grew great..
With this post -- now I wondering if I could have been taking some and eating them all along. .. there are still some out there...
Flowers are not coming out as much .. but lots of stems and "leaves"

I went on the net and it said portulaca was edible .. does that mean they all are?

:)

lorax
Greener Thumb

Theoretically, yes. However, having done that, I can tell you that Portulaca oloracea, like what BG showed us in her pics, is the tastiest of them.

SkyKero
Cool Member

I was doing more research on this Portulaca -- and figure out that it is verdolaga (in spanish) something I grew up eating. My dad always thought of it as a treat!

And yes -- they are yummy ... now ... to figure out how to grow them in my garden/pots etc...

They have so many good nutritional value -- I think they may help my cholesterol .. :shock:

Return to “Lawn Care”