motionxxusxx
Newly Registered

Grubs & Dylox (Questions)

I'm up in the massachusetts area and my lawn was overrun with grubs. The top part of my lawn was peeling back like sod. I went to the garden store and picked up some bayer 24 hour grub killer plus with dylox. I will put grubex down next spring as a preventer, I just needed something to kill the grubs now. I followed the directions and watered in the pellets. I think I may have put more down than what was on the instruction manual. I chock this up to bad estimation on my part and my spreader may have been slightly off. Hopefully, putting more down will not cause a problem since there was some thatch on the lawn.

I watered a bunch but I still see many of the pellots on the lawn. Should all the pellets have dissolved? Does this mean that I didn't water enough? I left the sprinklers on in each section for almost an hour.

My other question deals with the fact that I'm paranoid with the chemicals on my lawn. After looking around on the net it seems dylox is extremely dangerous. I'm kind of surprised they sell this stuff in local stores. When will my lawn be safe to go on? I'm concerned since there are still pellets or is most of the stuff inert matter. It's been 3 days since I layed the stuff down. I did read that dylox breaks down very quickly. Thanks for any help?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Motion, please ask the questions before application when we can help you out the most. Dylox is nasty.[url=https://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00312500076&DIST_NR=010404]REALLY nasty stuff[/url]. Tears up the environment pretty badly (lots of aquatic insects like stonefly and such are hard hit). But you are right, YOU are the most likely to get hit with this one. Known carcinogen, known cholinesterase inhibitor (being looked at as the causal agent for ADHD, Alzheimers and a few others) and a Pesticide Action Network Bad Actor (their "top ten" award). And as an organophosphate, it is banned in Kuwait and Indonesia, and severely restricted in most of the First World. But we sell it on the shelf in job lots here... go figure... :?

We like nematodes for grubs and right now is about the last shot at getting to the buggers before the cooler weather sends them into the soil profile beyond the reach of most nematodes. For this reason I would probably use Heterorhabditis; it is a deeper seeking nematode (Steinernema is a root zone ambusher and they are about done feeding on roots) and hardier, so you should get some survival until next year... This is the prescribed 'tode for black vine weevil, so that's one way to get it; I like Paul Sach's [url=https://www.norganics.com/products/pestcontrol/grub-guard.html]combination of Steinernema and Heterorhabditis[/url]the best; sort of a hammer and anvil approach. But you've almost missed the window, and now you have toxins on the lawn that they probably would not survive, not to mention poisoned food sources, so not this year...

Next year get the todes down right about when the Forsythia are blooming. Then again just as the really hot weather is backing off. Do it at dusk, and water in afterwards; these guys fry in the hot sun.

And before you use anything on your lawn or garden, [url=https://www.panna.org/]go here[/url]to check it out. You can trust these guys... you can't trust any company that is selling the stuff to tell you the truth...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”