RickyV
Newly Registered

What type of grass is this growing?

Let me try this again with a pic. This is the first time I've tried this so I hope it works. I live in Buffalo, NY and generally have a beautiful lawn at least up into late summer. Then this grass starts to grow in. For the most part it is green but can turn to light brown when it's dry. It starts to grow in large patches all over. After winter hits and in the spring, it is all dead and I have to rake it out like thatch. I have almost no weeds in my lawn and fertilize in spring, summer and fall. Any ideas of what type of grass this is and maybe a way to combat it. Many thanks.

Rick

https://picasaweb.google.com/106642741616513986407/31?authkey=Gv1sRgCLKKpYre4tbb0AE#5511723613581773410

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Rick,

Looks like bentgrass; the proliferation of golf course has turned this into a regular issue for a lot of us (have a spot in the front lawn my own self).

Solutions range from mine (learn to love it and leave it) to chemical obliteration (we're not huge fans, but understand in instances like this). If I was in the middle, I'd use acetic acid (Burn Out, Scythe, etc) to kill the top, turf out the roots, level with some new topsoil, and resod or reseed, doing this of course in the fall when weed pressure is lowest...

HG

RickyV
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually ok with it with the exception of after winter. Once the snow melts, this turns into big beige patches of dead thatch. I guess I'll just learn to live with it.

Return to “Lawn Care”