Piman25
Newly Registered

I am an Idiot - Round Up - Any way to repair the damage?

I accidently sprayed all the dandelions in my lawn with Round-Up rather than a selective pesticide. Now I have huge areas of my lawn that are dead, dead, dead.

Is there any way I can repair the damage inflicted by my stupidity?

Is there a lawn care service that can help?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, Round UP kills anything green it touches!

All you can do now is wait a couple weeks for the Round up to be gone from your soil and re-seed or re-sod your lawn.

Nothing the lawn care service can do differently. But don't wait too long or the bare spot will fill in with weeds.

What was so wrong with some dandelions? If you mow your lawn frequently (at least once a week if you are getting rains) and reasonably short, you will cut all the dandelion flowers off before they go to seed. That will keep them from taking over your lawn. I don't poison the dandelions and we always have a few, but never tons of them. I think in the spring the lawn with yellow dandelions and purple violets is really pretty!

Piman25
Newly Registered

The dandelions were taking over pushing the lawn out of the way. Well I guess I solved that problem :oops:

Alan in Vermont

If it has been a week since the OOPS! scratch the bare areas with a rake, throw some grass seed on them and water it in. No big deal, just be more careful next time.

Piman25
Newly Registered

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Al, that's easier done in VT than UT; piman has a little less moisture than you do in the Green Mountain State...

Piman, the only weed that bugs me in a lawn is dandelions, so I feel ya, but my method is a [url=https://www.hound-dog.com/weed_hound.htm]Weed Hound[/url].

And if you want to tell me you have too much lawn to do it this way, then just stop at the word "lawn"... :lol:

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Just one question. Did it kill the dandelions?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Jal if he has large dead areas in the lawn I bett the dandelions are dead...

Maybe not though; as a deep taprooted weed they are the most likely to survive a blast o chems. Not much else though...

Not the grass. Or the worms. Or the bacteria, fungi and protozoa. Bye Bye natural feeding...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”