kpanico
Newly Registered

Holes in Lawn

I am trying to diagnose what is causing the holes and grass erosion. At first, we were told grubs, so we put down grubex. But now I am not sure if we need to put more grubex or if it is something else like a ground bee. How do I determine?

The wholes look like ant holes with 1/4 wide hole in the middle, surrounded by mounded dirt.

What could it be and what should I do before my whole lawn is erroded?

Binkalette

My mother in law used to have those in her yard. She did have grubs, but it was the skunks causing the holes. They were digging little holes to get to them.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like worm castings, but the Grub-ex should chase them away...

Which is too bad because they are great for your lawn... :roll:

[url=https://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00053800266&DIST_NR=000538]Grub-Ex[/url] is really bad for the environment; it is very toxic to aquatic lifeforms. You should never use any toxins without being darn sure of what you are shooting at, and lot of us won't use them at all.

Especially those of us who are familiar with what they really do...

For grubs we recommend nematodes... but all you had were worms... erode your lawn? Those dirt piles are worm castings. Worm casts are plant food; a 1-1-1 organic fertilizer, and the enzymes and glomalin help hold your soils together, not erode it. The holes are natural aeration. Worms are the best thing that can happen to your lawn, not a problem... the stuff you spread on your lawn, now THAT'S a problem; you just killed a lot of natural soil biology that was feeding your lawn...

Skunk damage is NOT a quarter inch hole, it looks like somebody stuck an M-80 in your lawn. And again. And again. This sounds like worms...

PLEASE write us before you decide what to do and not after. We can save you a lot of trouble, money, and health with something like this... and images would help a lot...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”