kpanico
Newly Registered

Moving Grass

Hi,

I am new to the forum. Our yard is always a challenge. 1 acre and bad soil. I am trying to reduce the grass area. I live in Connecticut.

I was wondering, is it possible to move new and existing grass to another area in the yard? Can I dig it up like a plant in clumps with the dirt and move it? We had grubs this year and other issues, so some big spots needed seeding. Some is taking and some is not. I was thinking of taking one area and making a patio instead. Can I move the little grass that did come up in that area to another area in need? What would I do to make sure it survived?

We used a Sun and Shade mix from Scotts with Kentucky Blue Grass in it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kristie

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the grass is very sparse it would be difficult to move and not worth the effort anyway. But if it is a nice thick turf, then yes, it is not too hard to move. Use a square spade with a sharp edge to make a cut down into it and around 3 sides of square as wide as the spade or a little more. Then push the spade under the bottom of the root zone and lift. Once you get it loosened up you should be able to just roll up a sod strip like rolling up carpet.

For best results have the ground all prepared where you want to move it to, turned and raked and watered before you to the above step. Take your sod strip and lay it out on the new ground. Press it down lightly to be sure it is in contact with the soil and water it in

Then just keep it moist but not soggy until the roots are reestablished in the new place (you will start seeing new growth).
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you have a lot to move, you can rent a sod cutter, which makes the job much easier. They're usually available at most equipment rental places. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

If your just trying to fill in some bare spots. An easier way would be to get sod obviously. What I'm getting at is if you have a Lowe's or something by you they sell sod in singles for I believe under $2. You can cut and shape it anyway you want.

Just a thought.

Return to “Lawn Care”