Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What is the name of this weed?

In the past I have always dug these up by hand but for the past 2 years I have let them go. They are taking over. In the past I made sure to dig up every plant so they could not make seeds but they keep coming up anyway. There must be a lot of seeds in the soil already from years before. I need to learn something about this plant it might make it easier to get rid of it. It grows some large leaves sorta like small elephant ears then it grows a tall stem that turns into all seeds.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/Weeds.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Those are Broad-leaved Plantains -- originally from Europe but naturalized all over N. America -- some people say because they were intentionally planted for their medicinal properties. The leaves are edible as salad when small and tender, and as pot herb when slightly larger before the ribs become too stringy, and they are my BEST mosquito bite remedy. Just crush the leaves and rub onto the bite for instant releaf. It's supposed to be even more effective chewed and mixed with saliva, and is absolutely the single most important field remedy for bee and wasp stings.

It's also host plant for Buckeye Butterfly. The larvae are black spiny caterpillars with orange/red spots.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup... I have used the plantain chewed into a sort of pulp/paste for bee sting and can testify to it's amazing healing... and I'm really allergic to bee stings.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

All weeds tell us something and what plaintain always tells us is the area is compacted. Thi sweed thrives on pounded down ground.

SO soil structure is your key issue here; aeration seems a good first step and I never aerate without adding a compost top dressing (which will add fungal cultures which will further open up your soil...

Loosen things up and this stuff can't really compete with turf...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”