The Helpful Gardener
Mod

GO Huskies (UCONN, that is)

But the other Husky fan is onto my favorite solution; we have two Weed Hounds. His and Hers models... :wink:

HG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I salted my Tennessee Dandelions for 35 years. My yard looked nice like some professional lawn service was doing the job. It only takes about 5 rains to wash the salt away that is why the tiny 4" dead spots is gone in 30 days.

I found another way to kill Dandelions and other weeds. This is more WORK but it works great. Buy 5 hot water heater elements at the hardware store. The Heating elements are 240 volts AC but we are going to attach a short cord to them so they can be plugged into 120 volts AC so they only heat up to about 600 degrees F. Save 5 empty kitchen cans from corn or beans, etc and cut off both ends so you have a round metal tube. Push a metal tube down over a Dandelions just far enough that it can be filled with water and not leak out. Next push 1 of the heating elements into the ground inside the can. Push the heating element all the way down. The water prevents the heating element from over heating and burning up when it gets hot. Plug in heating element #1. While it heats up go to another Dandelions with a heating element and can. By the time you finish with heating element #5, Dandelions #1 has COOKED to death. The water around the tap root will boil and the plant will be dead. LOL. Pull up the heating element and move it to another Dandelions. One by one move the heating elements to another Dandelions. You can cook Dandelions to death at a rate of about 1 per minute using 5 heating elements. This only makes a tiny 2" dead spot in the yard that is gone in 2 weeks.

NOTE, make sure the cans have water other wise your heating elements will over heat and burn up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like way more work than just digging your dandelions out and no more effective. If you dig up the dandelion by the root (not hard to do after a rain, when the soil is moist), it is gone. And this method requires electricity (no electric outlets anywhere near my lawn) and seems to have some possibility of electrocuting yourself, mixing electricity and water. You never do anything the simple way, do you Gary? :roll:

Return to “Lawn Care”