tvguy75
Newly Registered

St. Augustine Grass DFW area

I hope it's not dead, but is it possible that the hard freezes that the DFW area had during the winter months damaged or killed the St. Augustine grass on my lawn? I've noticed a lot of the homes in my neighborhood with the same problem. My front lawn is a mixture of St. Augustine and Bermuda and here it is almost May and parts of my lawn are still brown. There are a few areas where there is some new St. Augustine growth, but it's pretty bare all around. The Bermuda portion of my front lawn is coming in just fine. If the St. Augustine is damaged and or dead, anyone have tips on regrowth or will I need to buy patches of St. Augustine sod?

Thanks,

David

jmoore

This is an old thread but I'm going to reply anyway.

My experiece is that St Augustine in Dallas is it will pretty much always come back and/or grow to fill in bare spots. My friend had his lawn sodded with St Augustine and they laid it out in a checkerboard pattern with every other square empty. It filled in in a year or so. I had a dog that wore some pretty good paths in our backyard, almost to the dirt, and it filled in in a couple of months after he passed away.

As long as you give it enough water, it should be fine. Adding a few sections of sod to help it along never hurts if you don't want to wait for it to fill in itself.

As for it still being brown in May, it has been a very dry May this year so most of the St Aug. in my neighborhood is still brownish as well. A few good rains and it will come back.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks J; St. Augustine is a little outside my realm of expertise...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”