jam8952

Questions about growing anthoxanthum grass.

I have a question about anthoxanthum grass also known as sweet vernal grass.I am thinking about buying some because it putts off a great fragrance and want to know what kind of habitat will this grass grow.I will be buying some and putting it in my yard so when I do cut my yard and run over it it will putt off a strong fragrance.And please don't say that this grass is only grown at higher elevations because if it is then I'm out of luck because I live at a very low elevation I basically live on flat ground.So please if anybody knows anything about this fragrant grass plant then please help me out and tell me what habitiat and places this grass plant can be grown.Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I had never heard of it, so I looked it up. Sounds nice, sweet vernal grass, aka holy grass, vanilla grass...

It is not native in this country but has naturalized across alot of the coastal areas including gulf coast. Likes some what acidic, well drained soil.

Couple things to note - the fresh hay/ vanilla scent is stronger after it has dried than when you are cutting it fresh. And it is listed as a severe allergen, so would not be a good thing to plant if you or your family have hay-fever type allergies. But I presume that would be the pollen, so as long as you keep it mowed and don't let it set flowers, it would probably be ok.

jam8952

Thanks and I have another question about the anthoxanthum grass known as sweet vernal grass.I was wondering if its a perennial grass or if its a annual grass.Thanks

Return to “Lawn Care”