dapacreative
Newly Registered

Grass or Weed and how do I get rid of it?

I have what appears to be a grass that grows much quicker than the rest of my lawn. It's is a more yellow green than the dark green fescue. It has started to overtake my yard the last couple of years and I can't figure out what it is.

[img]https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs053.snc3/14100_521236211960_66901210_31026167_4760165_n.jpg[/img]

Can anyone help?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Can't tell from the pic, but is it grass or Monkey Grass? Monkey grass is invasive. Can be a good thing in difficult areas, but not so good where you want regular lawn.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is a hard one as it is a grass and any weed killer you use will also kill your lawn. I am sorry but all I can think of is to kill all your lawn and start over. I hope some on has a better way.

alegrier
Newly Registered

What type of grass do you have in your yard? If your grass has been dormant all winter you might want to wait until it grows in this spring. Many times when you treat a grassy weed before your lawn has really begun to thrive you keep your good grass from growing as well.

Hope this helps.

AL

alegrier
Newly Registered

Almost forgot, make sure when you do treat it you use a selective herbicide. Home Depot sells a product called Image that should do the trick.

ranman99

Looks like goosegrass or crowfoot-grass. Not much you can do but dig it out and plant new seed. sorry :(

dapacreative
Newly Registered

I have fescue grass. I don't think its goose grass or crow-foot grass. It grows more upright.

Looking more online it looks like it could be dallisgrass or orchard grass.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I buy cattle SALT at the farm supply store for $3.95 per 50 lb. bag. I save an empty 15 oz can from the kitchen, corn, beans, tomato sauce it makes no difference any can will work.

I pour about 3/4 of a can of salt on each plant. Every morning when the dew is on the grass the plant will get a drink of salt water. Every time it rains the plant will get a drink of salt water. The plant will be dead within 2 weeks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's my response about the salt, which Gary posted elsewhere

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24442&highlight=

Return to “Lawn Care”