ranman99

Hey folks,,how often do you need to sharpen the blades? :?:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If your mower is not cutting well and the grass blades are torn and turn brown on the tips after a day or two then you need to sharpen them.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I give them a once over every season so I don't have to worry about them getting dull. I've seen 8hp movers cut worse than my 4hp mowers with sharp blades. A slightly thinner edge cuts easier, but wears down faster.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I sharpen the riding mowers every year also, as it is best to keep them in shape and they do get dull fast.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Once as year is usually fine for homeowners, although most pros sharpen every night or have multiple sets of blades to change out. I do mine if the cut edge of the grass blades looks raggedy...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm with the once a year at least myself. I have already cut my grass a few time this year it is grwoing like mad.

The first couple of times was with last years blade, I just sharpened it good enough to cut steaks. This last time I cut I could just feel the difference, there was less bogging and afterwards looking at the grass it had a better cut. As mentioned a dull blade will tear the grass making it stressfull on the grass and inviting disease.

Return to “Lawn Care”