Greywolf

How many of you drink and drive?

What is the best of times?

To roll around the yard with a lawn tractor in hand, sipping from a cold drink, and with a fine cigar.

CAPTAIN OF THE LAWN!
Master of the place....
CHEERS to the fine green place we make
This deserves the thirst we slake...

A Mint Julep is not out of order in such a scene

webmaster
Site Admin

Mint Julep! Is it Mint Julep season already? :P

Greywolf

"Mint" is another herb I was curious about - it seems to grow without much cultivation, once it is established in a place

Along the side door to my Pappa's yard it proliferated, and could be plucked for tea even though nothing was done to take care of it

(San Diego California)
It persisted for YEARS!

He also had Blackberries in the backyard that overran the place...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Mint Julep! Is it Mint Julep season already? :P
The Kentucky Derby is about a month away, so...it's probably time to "tune up" your technique, if you're the mint julep type!

Anybody have a non-alcoholic mint julep recipe, or is that a self-cancelling phrase?

Mint ice tea again? *sigh*

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There is a lake we like to go to and all around it are mint fields, the smell is wonderful.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We used to live on a 5 acre property, with a "back forty" field that was very private. Riding around on the riding mower topless in the sunshine was lovely (guys can have that experience a lot more easily!).

ranman99

I like a nice cold import 8)

Greywolf

rainbowgardener wrote:We used to live on a 5 acre property, with a "back forty" field that was very private. Riding around on the riding mower topless in the sunshine was lovely (guys can have that experience a lot more easily!).
Now that calls to mind all sorts of odd college sports - such as coed nude volleyball... But I digress.

I HAVE considered setting aside an area to raise a very tall hedge for sunbathing, but that has fairly low priority just now.

One accessory more than any other - and fairly cheap - I want to add to my riding mowers, and that is a "DAVIT CUP HOLDER" like the ones in small boats. You can put a soda or 'other beverage' in it and it swings to stay upright no matter what angle the tractor is at. I figured right on the back of the engine cowl to the right of the steering wheel ought to be perfect.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

My land was once a nudist camp, I think there may be some left over nudity around as I have plenty of places no one can see and well.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

My brother inlaw's dad has a riding lawn mower with a rack in the back. He strapped a small ice chest to it, and mows his 3 acres with a cold six pack.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I insist less lawn leaves more time for just the beer...

Eliminate the lawn entirely and there is more money AND more time for beer...

Prioritize... :wink: :lol:

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I never drink and drive, heck you could spill your beer. :shock:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Now I can't seem to mow without a cold one. And no offense here to the non-drinkers. I have the lower end gas mower, no cup holder. So, leave the beverage in a convenient place, and every few turns can take a break. This is why I don't mow in the AM!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If you were not supposed to drink when you mowed why would there be cup holders on tractors and lawn tractors?

Can you see the beer in my photo? :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I sold my riding lawn mower because I was getting fat and lazy. Now I mow my 1/2 acre yard with a push mower. In late June, July and August it is very hot so I wait for a thunderstorm in the evening. When it starts to rain I start the lawn mower and mow the lawn in the rain. WOW......the rain feels good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now that sounds wonderful! Too bad I have hardly any lawn any more!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure that having a beer or two while mowing on a hot day is great, but I'm more into delayed gratification. I just love to work really hard on a hot day, drinking water off and and on, but still getting somewhat dehydrated, cotton mouthed (if you know that feel), and plain thirsty to the core. THEN COMES 5:00, END OF THE WORK DAY, AND THAT FIRST BEER. BEST THING ON THE PLANET!!!! The experience simply can not be duplicated without working and waiting, for the last two or three hours, hotly anticipating, that wonderful, cold, refreshing beverage. And none of that fancy beer for me, not at that time, gotta be cheep, refreshing light American beer.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Did you know alcohol is about 3 times more dehydrating than salt. Drinking 1 beer is about equal to eating a tablespoon of salt. I don't drink American beer it taste like pee pee water just no flavor at all compaired to foreign beer. Americans have no idea what good beer is. British Brown Ale, German Oktoberfest and Irish Oatmeal Stout are really goooooooood. Italian food and beer go together it seems the beer makes the food taste better and the food makes the beer taste better. A beer before bed makes me sleep through the night and it dehydrates me enough I don't have to get out of bed to pee until morning.

If you want a really unbelieveable good beer try a Samual Smith Nut Brown Ale. https://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_breweries/samsmith_nut_brown_ale.html

If you want a beer that tastes like pee pee water have a Bud Light.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

"Americans have no idea what good beer is."

Quite a strange comment IMO, given that Americans have access to most any beer on the planet. Every decent bar carries quite a variety of both light and dark European varieties, and then there are the large numbers of micro breweries that make specialty beers with a whole range of subtle and not so subtle flavor variations. My daughter will only dring the dark, mostly somewhat heavy European style beers (yes, she is an American!) But to me those beers are more like a food. They are heavy, robust, with mostly strong flavor. When not overly thirsty and the mood hits, then that is the style beer that for me suits the occassion. But when thirsty and hot, for my taste, it just doesn't get any better than that flavorless, light, refreshing American brew.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

For each his own. My Father won't buy anything but low price beer to save money. My cousins all drink bud light but only because everyone else and their friends do too. If they would drink anything different others would make fun of them. They refuse to even taste a dark beer and make all kinds of negative comments about it in front of their friends. My other relatives and friend drink Bud light too. The people at work all drink Bud light and make fun of me and accuse me of not being patriotic for not drinking American beer. I like beer with flavor it is a bit like compairing no flavor grocery store tomatoes to home grown garden tomatoes. Same thing with wine, you buy a bottle of cheap $5 wine and compare it to a $50 bottle of wine and WOW what a difference. I only drink the very best that is why I make my own beer and wine so I can afford it. I have 180 bottles of aged wine all equal to $50 a bottle wine that only cost me about $3 a bottle. I have about 60 bottles of British Brown Ale, about 50 bottles of Oktoberfest, and about 10, 15 and 20 bottles of other misc. beers. Funny thing I rarely drink a beer maybe once a month but I like a glass of red wine every night.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh did someone say oatmeal stout?

I'm drooling over here now. :D

Return to “Lawn Care”