S.O.S
Newly Registered

Coffee Grounds in the Lawn - What are the Facts?

I take care of my Dad's lawn and lately I have noticed coffee grinds spread out in the bare spots. I asked pops and he said someone told him it's good for plants. Now I'm not sure but I thought that I remembered something about using coffee/ashes to affect the ph level of the soil. He also puts CIGERETTE ashes in his tomato plant!! I know I know......but he does it anyway. Please someone help me so I can explain the facts instead of just saying don't do it!!Thanks!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Coffee grounds are a good nitrogen source and can be good for the soil if not over done. If too much is put down it can get crusty and prevent air and water from getting to the soil. In that case, break it up and turn it under, into the soil.

Ashes tend to raise the pH of soil, make it more alkaline. This is not necessarily a good thing unless your soil is quite acidic to start with. Tomatoes like their soil a little bit acidic. And cigarette ashes (as opposed to say wood ash) sound bad. Tobacco carries tobacco mosaic virus to which tomatoes are quite susceptible. Hopefully burning the tobacco kills the virus, but viruses are pretty tough; I don't know that for sure. Especially if any little bits of unburned tobacco could get mixed in there.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Good post RBG!

I concur!

HG
Scott Reil

S.O.S
Newly Registered

Thanks!!

Thank you for your help!! I appreciate it.

Return to “Lawn Care”