AprilArchambeau

Anything for dog pee spots that works?

I have two medium sized dogs, a female APBT and a male Ambully, the males pee does not do it like the female's, but its almost pointless to put grass seed because her pee seems to be like acid :(

Is there anything I can put in her food or spray on the lawn to eliminate this?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I created a small graveled area in on one side of my house that isn't readily visible from the patio or back yard. I trained my dogs to go there.

The subject has been discussed here in the past. You might find some useful information in one or more of these older threads:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4149&highlight=dog+spots+lawn#4149

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69069&highlight=dog+spots+lawn#69069

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47360&highlight=dog+spots+lawn#47360

HTH! :)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

"I created a small graveled area in on one side of my house that isn't readily visible from the patio or back yard. I trained my dogs to go there.
"

Best advice ever. I'm gonna set up an area like that for my new house we're moving to soon. Just need small gravel for my small dogs

ranman99

for you dogs there is a product called g-whiz, this is to help neutrulize the urea in the urine.

dezertryno

I switched food, Purina helathy choice. about $15 for 20lb bag. Got tired of pee pills. The food got rid of all pee spots. Purple bag. I think we get it @ Wal Mart. When reseeding spots, put down your seed, then cover it in about 1/2" of topper. Yellow bag @ Home Depot or Lowe's. The topper is filled with everything the seedlings need, and in two weeks, you have your lawn back.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm sure it doesn't have to do with breed but I have a female APBT same thing here. Every spring I have a dead spot where she goes, too scared to go out in the cold lawn to pee so she just goes right outside of the patio. The end effect is a large yellow patch.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Reminds me of one winter when we had a lot of rain, and my back yard was covered by about 4 to 6 inches of water -- cold water! :shock:

My poor Kom, Lolli, hated having to squat with her poor butt down in that water. If I didn't stand at the door and watch her, she'd turn right around and come back inside. Then, as soon as I turned my back, she would sneak down the back hall toward the utility room and mess on the carpet. Devilish little beastie! :roll:

But I loved her dearly, anyway. :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Re. the question about breed:

No, it's nothing to do with these doggies being Pitties; it's that they are girl dogs. Girl dogs "go" all at once, in one place, so the acidity load is...ah...overwhelming for the receiving grass/plants. Boy dogs tend to "share" over more plants, as it were, so no plant (generally speaking) gets the entire load. :wink:

I'm now on Dog #2 and Dog #4 (yes, I started dog-keeping pretty late, as things go). Girl #2 and Boy #2. Fortunately, Girl likes an area which I've maintained in weeds, and Boy likes the area under the redwood tree in the back yard. Several areas under the redwood tree, in fact....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

JoeSylvan
Newly Registered

The gravel pit idea is fantastic. Sadly I know my pup and he loves to mark every spot around the yard!
Thankfully I don't have the "Acid urine" problem. I had a friend have an issue though and he used a product similar to the G-Whiz. I'm not sure of the name, but the pet store has quite a few different products sitting next to each other on the shelf.

Good luck!

Return to “Lawn Care”