jbizz035
Newly Registered

Help me choose a grass please!

hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I would like some help please. I have an area where we park out cars that is all dirt now. Whenever it rains the dirt turns to mud and all the cars get stuck. I would like to cover this area with grass, for the purpose of holding the soil together when it rains. If anyone knows a good grass for this could you tell me? I would like something that is durable (since it will be driven over), is short so that it doesn't need to be cut often, and is low maintenance because we probably won't be spending a lot of time taking car of it. I am in the cincinnati area, so a grass suited for this weather would also be good. If you could help Id appreciate it.Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you with us! :)

Unfortunately, I can't be of any help to you on this subject. I've never heard of a type of grass that could prevent wet ground from turning to mud when vehicles are driven on it. Maybe there is such a thing, but I sure don't know of it. Hopefully, another member has better information about the various types of grasses. :(

applestar
Mod

What you said reminded me of something I saw on one of those landscaping shows. Try a Google Image search for "porous pavers driveway plant with grass" -- the first page displayed multiple examples of what I was remembering. If my concrete driveway ever gives way and need to be replaced, I'm going with one of these.

Come back and let us know if you think any of those would work for your situation.

Alan in Vermont

Grass likely won't grow in areas where vehicles have been/will be compacting the soil. Knotweed will thrive in such places but you need a patch of it to transplant from.

This is one thing that might work but it won't be cheap. https://www.invisiblestructures.com/grasspave2.html

There are some designs of concrete blocks that are supposed to a possible solution but I have no idea where to look.

You could always remove the soil and put in an 8" deep bed of crushed stone to park on.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I would look up the pavers that Applestar is talking about or Alen, I have seen the stone ones Applestar is talking about used in places and they work.

jbizz035
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice...I will look into those systems.

Return to “Lawn Care”