AreaCode707

Grass seed choice for Pacific NW?

Located in Redmond, WA, putting in a small new lawn in a low-traffic area. Currently about 80/20 sun/shade but will be putting in some trellis next to it that will make it about 60/40 sun/shade. Good well-draining soil - the person who lived here before us didn't do junk for gardening but did improve the soil a lot for some reason.

Looking for grass recommendations. The area will not be a pass-through so it is low traffic, as I said, and I'd like to get a soft grass that would make a comfy spot for sitting and talking or laying on and reading a book on the rare warm Seattle day. :)

We've laid down newspaper to kill off the existing straggly lawn and are bringing in a few tons of 3-way topsoil tomorrow. Yippee!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Apparently we don't have a lot of lawn care folks around right now, everyone is busy getting their vegetable gardens going!

I'm not a lawn care person either, but since you hadn't gotten any response, I looked up a couple articles for you:

https://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/How-to-Choose-Grass-Seed.html

https://www.greatlandscapingideas.com/grassseed.html

The second one has this bit in it:

Coastal Northwest - The Pacific Northwest, does best with a combination of 50 percent Kentucky bluegrass, 20 to 40 percent red fescue, and 10 to 20 percent colonial Bentgrass. The bluegrass will give the lawn beauty, while the red fescue makes the lawn more durable. The colonial Bentgrass will grow well in the slightly acidic soil of the northwest.

Hope it helps some!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They grow the stuff in Oregon. It's one of our major industries. If you go to an independently-owned garden center, where the staff actually know about gardening, they will probably have some blends that have been designed specifically for your area. That's what I did, anyway. The guys were very helpful, and provided detailed instructions for how to prepare the ground and seed my lawn. :)

Return to “Lawn Care”