bratsmom2
Newly Registered

Grass Growing in a Yard of Clay

Hello,

We recently moved, and the yard has alot of clay and sandy soil. My question is, how would we go about planting grass in this rough clay filled soil.

Any suggestions will be apreciated.
Thank You.

steveatzoysia
Newly Registered

bratsmom2 wrote:Hello,

We recently moved, and the yard has alot of clay and sandy soil. My question is, how would we go about planting grass in this rough clay filled soil.

Any suggestions will be apreciated.
Thank You.
There are a few things that you could do. First, you could look into grasses that are able to grow in clay and sandy soil. Check out grasses like zoysia.

You could also change the soil itself. Here is [url=https://organicgardening.about.com/od/soil/a/improveclaysoil.htm]a post on how to improve your clay soil[/url]:

Best of luck to you!

- Steve

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My entire yard is heavy clay with poor drainage. I have never had any problem growing a grass lawn. Grass seed is actually produced here in Oregon. It's one of our major industries.

I don't think you have to do anything special other than following standard planting methods and installing it at the right time of year to enable the new lawn to get sufficient rain (or else committing to watering it multiple times a day, until it becomes established).

One thing I would recommend is buying the seed from a reputable local garden center. They should be able to provide you with a mixture that will thrive in your area's climate.

Return to “Lawn Care”